Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Updates Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:34 AM

Four years ago I bought McAfee VirusScan 6.0 and you could download and install the updates every week. Two years ago I bought McAfee VirusScan 7.0 thinking I need a newer version. I installed it and updated it no problem but I didn't like it compared with 6.0 so 6.0 went back in. On 30/10/06 I downloaded sdat4883.exe, installed it no problem. The following day I downloaded sdat4884.exe but when I tried to update it said I don't have any McAfee products. This is bull I've been using McAfee for four years.

So last November I decided to upgrade McAfee again to McAfee VirusScan 2006 v10.0. Installed it no problem. Tried to install the latest update but it came back with the same error I don't have any McAfee products. I ran sdat4883.exe which worked before and it worked again.

In the new year I decided to do a format and rebuild, I hadn't done one for 18 months. So I knew everything would be fresh and not corrupted. I reinstalled Win98se and decided to put the VirusScan in first to see if it would work. It installed in no problem, I ran sdat4903.exe the lastest update but it couldn't find any McAfee products again. I ran sdat4883.exe which worked before and it worked again.

So in conclusion no updates work from 31/10/06, as anyone else had this problem? What I've been doing for the past couple of months is copying the update files of the computers at work to a flash drive and taking them home that way. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

I would switch to either Norton AntiVirus 2007, NOD32 AntiVirus 2.7, or Kaspersky AntiVirus 6.0
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

Switch to Norton 360. It does everything McAfee Total Protection 2007 does, but is small on system resources. Its well worth the purchase.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

Update.

I've found the location of the dat files Current Dat Files. I can extract clean.dat, names.dat and scan.dat from the zip file. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users