Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Backup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SuicidaLeo

SuicidaLeo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 07:47 AM

Hi guys, im new on here and quite new at computation so i may not understand a lot of things. A friend of mine's computer has collapsed and he asked me to give him a windows xp backup. The problem is that i dont know how to make a backup. Could u plz tell me how :thumbsup: .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:08 AM

Can you provide some more details, what do you mean collasped?

Does the PC boot but windows won't load? Can you boot into safe mode (press F8 during the boot process to access the boot menu and choose safe mode)?

I wouldn't have thought a backup of your PC will help your friend.

If you can provide more details as to what's wrong I'm sure somebody will be able offer more advice on how to solve your problem.

#3 SuicidaLeo

SuicidaLeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:46 AM

hi. ok, here are some more details: when he lights it, an hp invent message appears, the screens gets dark, and on the top left of the screen a white line appears and flickers on the screen and it holds in that way. When u press a key, a sound gets out from the computer.... when u press f1, a cmos setup utility appears on the screen, which allows you to change the board language and several other things......... i dont get very clearly what he says me by the phone but thats all he can do with his computer. it seems windows got uninstalled because the computer says he doesnt have it, and he says he didnt uninstall it...... here ae the facts: the computer got shut down because electricity turned off, so he ran it again, while running a blue message appeared on the screen and since there it doesnt run anymore...ok, so now i think i should ask u what is wrong with his cpu :thumbsup: i hope u could help him. (ps: hes got a home windows hp version)

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:05 AM

I'd test that the hdd is OK first. Run the hdd manufacturers diagnostic tool. If you have high speed net access download this Ultimate BootCD it has all the hdd manufacturers tests on the CD.

If your not sure how manufacturered your friends hdd, run the seatools software and run the generic test.

It could also be that the mbr has got corrupt, there are some mbr tools on the ultimate bootcd which should help.

Or you could try active partition recovery I've used it in the past to recovery corrupt mbr's there's a free demo which will tell you if it can recover the data.

If neither of these suggestions work then something else has caused the problem.

Edited by stidyup, 07 January 2005 - 04:08 AM.

#5 SuicidaLeo

SuicidaLeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:41 PM

:flowers: thx for the help guys. My friend will get his cpu repared, so i dont think there will be any other problem :thumbsup: i will answer when ill know if his cpu got better..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users