Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Does The Application Layer Pass Information To The Transport Layer So That Udp Can Populate Its Header Fields?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sparky_sparks

sparky_sparks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to networking and have a general query regarding the application and transport layer protocols.

I've been doing a topic that requires an application layer protocol to be designed. This protocol is to sit on top of UDP. I've been trying to find out how UDP 'fills' its header fields.

When the application layer protocol passes its packet to UDP, does UDP read the required information (eg, destination port) from the header to 'fill' it's header fields? Or does the application layer protocol have to pass the required information outside of the packet so that UDP does not have to read the packets header?

Any help to clarify this would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:59 PM

http://images.google.com/images?q=osi+mode...es&ct=title

here is a link to see the "OSI" model.

since udp (and tcp) are bothprotocols of the session layer, it gets its bits from the presentation layer after presentation gets it from application. udp dosent technically get the info from application, but from presentation. what exactly are you trying to do?
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users