Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore After Virus Removal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fraser price

fraser price

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:47 AM

I have, with the help of the main helpdesk, been able to clean my computer. I am on the last run, where I have shut off System Restore, but it won't restart properly. When accessing the main System Restore window to create a restore point, I get a message "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart computer and run SR again". Same message on retry. I have also gone to a suggested link and tried to install by using SR.INF file. I get a message that says "sr-sys on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed". A dialogue box comes up with "Type Path" and the entry "C:\Windows\Inf\i386". I have some reinstallation discs I got with the computer (Dell) but not a clue where to go from here. The discs I have are for: Drivers and Utilities - (one of which includes system documentation, but I can't see anything relevant); and the reinstallation disc. I am just checking if my window opens wide enough to throw this computer out. It mightn't solve the problem, but would be very satisfying after several days of highs and lows thinking I am on the road to recovery. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:11 AM

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Mr. Bill Gates. Eventhough he is to be recommended for the work of his foundation he sure did a number on us.. :thumbsup:

Somewhere on those discs there should be a file sr.sys.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

One of those disks should mention Service Pack 2 - insert it and point the path to it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 fraser price

fraser price
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for your response(s). In case you are interested - unfortunately, Search Companion has also decided to go AWOL, I get a message saying that I may need to run setup to get it back, can't face asking that question yet: so I rang Dell to see if they could tell me where to find this sr.sys file on which disc. I didn't get the answer. He wanted my phone number in case he wanted to phone me back tomorrow! Wasn't after a date, India's a bit far to go. Anyway, he did say that if a virus has got into the computer I have to reinstall the whole system, from scratch, can't reinstall bits - and as I have Windows 2000 loaded onto my computer, I would lose all that - and incidentally, they won't help due to me having downloaded Windows 2000. (I find XP not good for WP purposes.) He then said he would put me through to the software support team, who for a nominal fee would help me reintall this file - does this contradict his earlier statement or am I now going crazy? I'll let you know if I find the magic file; if I can install this bit; and how much a new computer costs in the UK today, 'cos I reckon this is the end of the road for me. :thumbsup:

#5 fraser price

fraser price
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:52 AM

Anyone in the same/similar situation: the file "sr.sys" can be found on the red Operating System disc "Reinstallation CD" under folder 1386. Unfortunately, despite finding the file and following the suggested instructions, I still couldn't get the system restore function to work, so I think I may have to start from scratch. Despite locating the disc, file etc., the dialogue box kept asking me to insert the disc.

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

Maybe this will help.

#278 Restore/Enable System Restore - Undo

#289 (to the right column) Restore System Restore Service

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Save them to your desktop or wherever and run them.

Backup your registry first.

Edited by mommabear, 16 February 2007 - 02:50 PM.

#7 fraser price

fraser price
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:53 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. I have discovered that someone in the household had updated system with windows and we didn't have reinstall disc - asked local computer geek to look at computer and rebuild was suggested - have got so fed up I have ordered a new stack. I can only take so much! This time, I will ensure correct spyware etc installed as a priority

from laptop :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users