Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu 'all Programs' Empty?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rcmck

rcmck

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:48 PM

Has anyone seen this problem before. My programs list is empty, but all programs are fine and all programs are listed in the start menu all programs folder but it says it is empty. I have tried using regsvr32 to install shell32.dll again, and used the sfc /scannow command. Anyone have any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

Are you looking in the correct folder - or do you suspect that your user profile is corrupted? That'll affect the approach to this issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rcmck

rcmck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:01 PM

I am looking in c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs and all program folders are there. But when I go to start menu on the desktop it says (Empty) when I hover over Programs.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:50 PM

Have you looked at your registry? Try this solution
Attention this is a registry tweak!!!! Back up your registry PLease look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

#5 rcmck

rcmck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

I have uploaded a screen shot of exactly what is happening to flickr You can view it here: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=392553830&size=o

fozzie I have tried the suggestions at the site you referred to already and none have worked, I will review it again to see if I missed something but as far as I could tell all my registry values are correct according to that site. I will post some screen shots of those registry entries if that would help.

Edited by rcmck, 17 February 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:43 AM

Try looking in the c:\documents and settings\<<your profile name here>>\start menu\programs. Is it empty also? Have you checked in any other profile to see if this is a system wide problem - or that it's just limited to your profile?

I suspect that your profile has become corrupted. The first step would be (IMO) to ensure that something hasn't slipped by your current protection. Try a free, online scan here: http://safety.live.com It'll not only scan for malware, but will also clean your registry, clear out your Temp files, and defrag your hard drive.

Once you're assured that it's clean, then I'd suggest creating a new profile and moving your most important settings over to it. Here's a link on how to recover from a corrupted profile: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 rcmck

rcmck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:37 PM

The files are in the c:\documents and setteings\myprofile\startmenu\programs, the folder is not empty, this is why I am confused and it is a system wide problem. I will try the free online scan and will post results.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:51 PM

First, the Start Menu (and your desktop) is actually composed of 2 start menus (and 2 desktops). Both the All Users profile and your user profile are shown on the desktop and in the Start Menu.

Something is broken if the system won't display these (but they're still there) - the most likely cause is malware, so the scan is called for in this case.

#9 rcmck

rcmck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

I tried the liveone scan, it found 3 problems in the virus/spyware portion and 505 in the registry section it said it fixed the virus problems and fixed 494 of the registry problems, but it didn't tell me what it found. The problem still exists either way, I am going to install the trial version of the program and scan again to see if the problems were not fixed and if it will offer more info on what the problems are.

#10 rcmck

rcmck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

I did the scan again and it came up clean no problems found. I looked around the registry and noticed HKEY_USERS Is this normal here is a screen shot. Also I created a NEW User Profile and the problem exists even with that new profile. Would just a reinstall of windows fix this problem? And can I even reinstall windows now that I have upgraded to SP2 and my windows disk that came with computer is SP1?

Edited by rcmck, 20 February 2007 - 07:45 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

I suspect that this is the remnants of a virus infection that was not fixed completely (viruses are so invasive that they can damage almost any part of your Windows).

The HKEY_USERS key is where all the user profiles are stored for that system. When you logon to a user account, Windows loads the appropriate user profile key into HKEY_CURRENT_USER - and it stays there while you're logged on. Underneath the HKEY_USERS key will be a number of keys depending on your system configuration.

I would suggest a repair install of Windows before doing a clean install. While it's a PITA (you'll have to sit through about 65 Windows Updates) - it can fix this problem more easily than with a full, clean installation.

Here's a link to a how to guide: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Also, you might want to slipstream SP2 into your current XP SP1 - it'll save you a lot of time with Windows Updates or installing SP2 separately. Here's a link about it: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

Edited by usasma, 20 February 2007 - 08:33 PM.

#12 rcmck

rcmck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

I Created the slipstream disk with no problem following the instructions on the website. I started the repair and during the process I got an error saying cannot copy SVCPACK.INF, I Chose to SKIP and continue since it had already deleted the windows files. The install completed seemingly successfull and on the final restart I got the Safemode screen, I chose to start windows normally and it just restarted my computer and went right back to the same prompt, chose Start windows normally and it just restarted to the prompt again. Is this because of the skip or another problem altogether. I googled SVCPACK.INF and found sights relating to the slipstream process, they seemed to be suggesting that this file needed to be changed or something. Do know what I can do to fix this now that I can't load the OS?

Edited by rcmck, 26 February 2007 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users