Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bonez07

bonez07

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:18 PM

My dad pulled the plugs out while I was on the computer (long story). So now everytime I start up my PC, it goes to the screen where you gotta select safe mode, normal mode etc...now the thing is, each time I make a selection, it just reboots...how can I get by this withOUT formatting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

On that selection of choices, select "Last Known Good Configuration" and see if it'll start up from there.

If that doesn't fix it, try to do a repair installation of Windows.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx
(Or if you don't have a full XP setup disk, see if you can do a factory restore without formatting the drive. This option is typical on Compaq's and HP's, usually accessed by pressing F10 during the boot sequence.)

If that doesn't work you likely will have to either reinstall Windows completely, or you could have faulty hardware.
Posted Image

#3 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

repair installation doesn't erase any files? i also have 2 PCs, so would this work: if I take the hard drive out of one PC and switch it with the second one? because the second one I just got fixed, and it has no files on it, so the hard drive is empty anyway, so I could do a new installation with an empty hard drive

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

A repair install basically just messes with the \Windows directory.
And yes, you can certainly throw in a new drive and start over.
Posted Image

#5 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

A repair install basically just messes with the \Windows directory.
And yes, you can certainly throw in a new drive and start over.

thanks a LOT, I have a lot of important files, hopefully everything goes well, if not, I'll switch hard drives and format

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users