Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oversleeping Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donpong

donpong

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:15 PM

My original 40G Western Digital hard drive died and was replaced with a new 80G WD HDD and reinstalled WinXP Home edition with all the appropriate updates. While every thing else is functioning ok, there is a problem when the PC sits idle for long periods (one or more hours) and when the Power Options are set to 'Turn off Monitor' and 'Turn off Hard disks'. After an idle period, I must reboot each time to get my DSL connection reactivated. I am not fully understanding of the power options to determine if it responsible for this problem
Thanks for any guidance offered.
merv07

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 15 February 2007 - 11:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:59 PM

There are a few things you can do to keep your DSL connection active or reduce the number of times you have to reboot. The easiest thing you can do is to manually disconnect from the Internet when you are going to be away from the computer for a while. By manually disconnecting your PPPoE session, you eliminate the chance that the link will fail or become corrupt when the PC enters a standby mode. This gracefully shuts down the connection, clears your user information from the ISP, and releases the IP addresses assigned via DHCP in an orderly manner. And although this does negate the always-on feature of your DSL, it at least provides you with a better chance of resuming your connection and getting back online without rebooting the entire system.

Click here for the complete article, titled Lost DSL Connections
Keep Digital Subscriber Line Accounts Online & Active
. Scroll down about half way to the section heading of, What Can I Do To Keep Things Working?

Hope this is of some help

Be (Hibernating for the winter) Safe :thumbsup:

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users