Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Corp Product Key Keeps Changing By Itself

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

I'm asking for a friend. Really. It's not a problem I'm having.

He's used the same copy of XP Corp for years with the same Volume License Key. He has 4 computers (3 desktops and a laptop), and he reviews software to see how they stand up with various system configurations. So he's switching out hdd's, adding-removing programs, etc a lot. I guess he happened to notice the key changes because he uses programs like Everest and SIW for benchmarking performance/settings with his product reviews. I don't think any Windows errors popped up, or anything like that.

I think this is just happening on his main desktop. (So far, anyway.) He just noticed in the last couple of days that his XP Corp Product key is changing all by itself. He tried changing it back to his real number. No go. In fact one time, in the middle of trying to change it back, it changed to another unknown number. Got another email today (he's in the UK) and he has yet another new number on his computer.

He tried a Ghost Image to see if he could get back to his original product key, but apparently it had begun changing quietly in the background some time ago, because the Ghost Image produced a mystery Product Key too.

I can tell you he's been reviewing several software programs that "optimize the system" and dig deep into the setup. Maybe one of those did something. He's also tried IE7. (My paranoia with Microsoft may be showing here.)

He said that so far he's still able to use Windows normally, except one mystery number did cause some performance problems online. Browsing with IE and FF and logging into yahoo and msn produced a lot of "not responding" messages..until the next Product Key kicked in and then everything was fine again.

Anyhow, that's the gist of it right now. I'm stumped and don't have a clue where to start looking for what might be causing this. Has anybody ever heard of the Windows Product Key spontaneously changing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

Has anybody ever heard of the Windows Product Key spontaneously changing?

I haven't heard of this. I would definitely suspect one of the programs he installed is questionable and has been able to change the key through his registry. It would help to know what programs he has been testing.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 mommabear

mommabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

Much to his embarrassment, this was the culprit. It produced incorrect numbers. His original key is intact.

The utility "ViewkeyXP" showcased by the web page title no longer works with XP SP 2 and has been removed,...
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm

Thanks for all your time and effort, everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users