Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Computer Will Not Start Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tony432423

tony432423

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:27 PM

Hello I'm tony, I came here because i am having a problem and i don't know what is up with my computer. So heres my problem

Windows does not start. my power starts up, it Recognizes all of my hardware. i can get into BIOS. but every time i try to get it to start, it restarts itself and goes back through the Hardware Check before the computer starts. Safe mode does not work either, my comp is just sitting here over and over again trying to get into windows, and i have not found a way. Please help me with this problem.

Thanks, Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hi Tony, if you are able to get into windows at least once try doing this:

If you have not already done so, disable automatic restart so you can get an error message screen. Once you get one, post what it says here (yes, all of it!)

When a critical error occurrs in Windows XP, the system will reboot automatically by default. After the reboot, Windows will then usually show a dialogue with the explanation that the system has recovered from a critical error and will offer to submit this error to Microsoft.
Most of the time these spontaneous reboots are rather unique and are not an immediate cause for alert. However, if the situation is recurring, there is probably something wrong in the system configuration. To get a good idea of what is wrong, it is best to disable the option to automatically restart the system after a failure, but to let it show the error message instead.

To do so, please perform the following steps:
1. Right-click My Computer.
2. Select Properties.
3. In the System Properties, select the tab Advanced.
4 In the box called Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
5 A new window will open:

6. Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure
7. Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking OK.
Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error. However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem.

Note: Most of the critical errors are due to faulty driver installations or incorrect BIOS settings. Especially in case of misbehaving drivers, the blue screens often list the filename of the driver that caused the crash.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:13 PM

Hi Tony, you need to be systematic and go through your hardware to check to see what is causing this to happen. Start with your ram try removing a stick, if that doesn't work try replacing it with the other. If you have only one stick of ram go here and download the file and run a test or just run it anyway. http://www.memtest86.com/
You will have to alter the boot startup to cd. If all checks out ok try nremoving your video card and re seating it. In your bios does it say halt on key board? Try another. See how you go. Rember one at a time.
MCP
MSDST

#4 tony432423

tony432423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

ok i tried both of the replys, the first one, i cannot even get into windows at all. so that will not work. I took my ram and replaced it, video card, sound card. and windows will still not start up, however it did recognize when i took ram out and started it and its regonizing my hardware.

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

So can you get any further now? or still cant get to safe mode? Where can you see your hardware? Did you rum memtest? I think you may have to look at your hard drive. can you get your hands on another one an try installing it?
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users