Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bbrink

bbrink

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

I have 2 nmachines - 1 laptop w/ Windows XP SP1 and one desktop with Windows XP Media Center. They two can share files, map drives, ping each other, etc., so I don't trhink it is a network issue. The two can also see the printers being shared by the other. I can "Add Printer, browse to the other computer and choose one of the shared printer, it seems to load, and shows in my printer list after installation. I can click the printer icon and open it. But when I try to print to it, I get a message saying "The printer driver is not installed.." I can chose to install it, at which point the whole process repeats itsfel. Any thoughts on what I have fouled up?

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 16 February 2007 - 01:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

What type of printer is it? When you install the drivers for it, does it go through or give you errors? Have you thought about splurging 20 bucks on a cheap print server?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 bbrink

bbrink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:02 PM

Its an older HP LaserJet 5P. It is attached to the laptop. When I am on the desktop, I can choose "add new printer", browse and find the printer on the laptop, and it says I have succesfully added the printer. It will then show in my printer list. If I open it, it will display the que. If I do anything else, including try to print to it, it gives me the "driver is not installed error. I can choose to install the driver at that point (which I shouldn't have to do, I don't think) and it again tells me it was successfully installed. I can try again to print, and the whole "driver not installed" error happens again. The same issue happens when I am on the laptop and try to add then use the Lexmark 700 attached to the desktop. The laptop sees it, adds it, but then errors when it tries to use it - "driver not installed". I posted here in the networking forum because I was concerned it might be a network setup issue, or a personal firewall issue, etc.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

Try downloading and installing the drivers manually from the HP website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users