Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Memory Problem

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Roothy

Roothy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:45 AM

Hello,

I have a problem with my Outlook 2000

Whenever I try to start the program, my CPU reaches 100% (not too much of a problem for a little time)
But also Mem usage goes up: from 1250 MB on normal applications to 2100 MB (virtual space) when I try to start Outlook. Apparently it takes alot of memory, still, with 2100 MB on mem and 100% on CPU it takes up to 2 minutes to start Outlook.
To me, that isn't normal.

When started, CPU goes to a normal 8% but memory stays at 2100 and it makes it very hard for other applications to start.

It stops when I terminate Outlook.

I haven't encountered any other applications with this problem.

Things I tried to resolve this problem
- Windows repair
- Repair of Outlook by Office disc
- Re´nstall entire office
- Check on another computer whether or not It used the same amound of CPU / Mem usage, This did not happen: CPU 20%; Mem usage 400 MB
- ask help from bleeping computers, security (I thought I had a Virus): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/78872/virus/

My comp
Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Outlook 2000

Is there anyone who'd have an idea how to solve this or know what causes this problem?

Thanks,
Roothy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

It could be that your virtual memory is too low, it should be three time the amount of your physical memory. You can check it by going to your control panel, system, advanced tab, performance options. You will see the amount of virtual memory there, you can also adjust it from there.

If you amount of RAM is too small the hdd will compensate which would cause it to slow down also.

How much RAM do you have, and how much free space do you have on you hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Roothy

Roothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

My RAM should've been 512 by my knowledge.
Start amount for virtual space is stated on 768 and max is 1536.

But it shouldnt make any diffrence, the laptop on which I checked / confirmed Outlook behaviour. Outlook only 'needed' 400 MB.

I try to find an explanation why my home Outlook uses 2100 MB memory while a confirmation machine shows 400 MB on the same program, installed with the same disc...

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:40 AM

Use the task manager to see what's running at the same time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Roothy

Roothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

nothing really... next biggest app is svchost.exe

But that is uses less then 10% of what OUTLOOK uses. that's not significant.

It really is soley Outlook. I guess I'll just have to send the comp to the store, hope that they can find out what's wrong...
Unless you still have any ideas that is...

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:47 AM

What did you use to scan for viruses? Now days you can't depend just on a AV, you need several programs to be effective. I use AVG anti virus and anti, Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, Asquared, and Zone Alarm for my firewall. All of these are free downloads. I would also suggest that you run your scans in safe mode to be most effective.

Another thing you could try would be to download Thunderbird and see if you still have this problem, I switched to that and Firefox a couple of years ago and won't go back.

#7 Roothy

Roothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:28 AM

Programs:
NOD32 <-- Official AV (I don't wanna depend on free AV)
Sygate Firewall <-- free but effective. recommended by virus helpdesk on bleepingcomputer
Ad-aware personal
Spyware blaster
ATF-Cleaner
HijackThis
AVG-Anti spyware
Spybot S&D
TrendMicro™ HouseCall Java Scan see This link

Browsers and plugins:
FF version 2.0.0.1
new version of Java platform (update 09) <-- You be sure to have that too
IE7 (removed though, It was very simular to early FF but lay-out sucks)
Email by provider hetnet (by KPN)
Webmail, a few, but that is not of any importance...

Edited by Roothy, 18 February 2007 - 06:35 AM.

#8 Roothy

Roothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:32 AM

I am sure I do not have any virus please see this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/78872/virus/

Edited by Roothy, 18 February 2007 - 06:33 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

Open up Task Manager and click on the Processes tab.
Click on the View menu item and then "Select columns"
Put a check mark in the box next to I/O Reads and click OK to close the dialog
Make Task Manager bigger so that you can view the I/O Reads column.
What's taking the biggest bite there?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

It looks like you are pretty well protected, but I would also suggest that you try Asquared. It looks for worm, trojans, and other nasties.

usasma has been a little more specific is the use of the task manager, but the point is that you should be able to find you resource hog there.

#11 Roothy

Roothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

again OUTLOOK.EXE followed by svchost.exe (dunno but only Outlook is the only app stated in caps)
:
1.579.159.656 for Outlook
463.500.600 for svchost.exe

Can it be that the sector of the HD is damaged on the position of Outlook?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:46 PM

I suspect that your Outlook is damaged in some way. On some versions there's an option to repair in on the Help menu. Other versions have repair options in the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Roothy

Roothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:24 AM

I think a damaged sector is more likely, If that could be an explanation.

Like said in post #1 I already tried windows repair, Outlook repair, office repair and new install of office...
I haven't tried repair by add/remove programs, you think I should try that too?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

I'm a bit visually handicapped, so I must've missed the comment about the repair - sorry!

While it may be that a sector is damaged, it's more likely that the Outlook installation is corrupted (damaged). All of the other stuff we did was to eliminate other possibilities.

At this point I'd suggest backing up your Outlook stuff (Export everything to a .pst file and then write down all your account settings) - then removing and reinstalling Outlook.

One final thing to consider is that you stated that you'd removed IE7. Generally reverting back to IE6 will fix any IE7 caused issues, but since IE is tightly linked to the guts of XP - could this be causing some of the issues? It depends on how you removed IE7

#15 Roothy

Roothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:43 AM

I went back to a previous restore point for windows.
Hope that it could be undone by removing some of the apps installed in previous time...

IE7 went along with it..

Ive never made an Outlook backup, can you tell me how that works?
I normally remove everything and start from scratch, I know my way around with installing and account management on Outlook

Edited by Roothy, 21 February 2007 - 02:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users