Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee's Threat List Incomplete, Analyst Says

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:34 AM

McAfee's Threat List Incomplete, Analyst Says... "I would think that phishing -- which directly leads to identity theft and fraud -- is more dangerous than [adware program] Gator," said Ed Moyle of SecurityCurve. "I'd take being marketed to over having my identity stolen given the choice."By Susan B. Shor TechNewsWorld 01/04/05 11:35 AM PT MaAfee has released a list of the top 10 computer threats of 2004, but the security firm hasn't gone far enough, according to one analyst. "The McAfee list, while I'm sure it's accurate according to their methodology, leaves quite a few very important points unsaid," Ed Moyle of SecurityCurve told TechNewsWorld. "First of all, this is being billed as the 'top 10 threats for 2004.' It clearly isn't. While I understand that McAfee has a reason to want to focus on malware -- since they sell malware products -- I think that they need to qualify that by adding that these are top threats within their scope only." Bots, Exploits, Mass Mailers, Adware The list, composed by McAfee's Avert antivirus team, lists adware, bots and viruses. The team reported that bots and mass mailers are still virus writers' favorite methods of spreading their attacks in business settings. Sixty percent of threats to home users come in the form of exploits and adware, Avert said. After dropping 5 percent per year between 2000 and 2003, the rate of virus production increased in 2004. Avert's list, in alphabetical order, includes Adware-180, Adware-Gator, Exploit-ByteVerify, Exploit-MhtRedir, JS/Noclose, W32/Bagle, W32/Mydoom, W32/Netsky, W32/Sasser and W32/Sdbot (the family including sdbot, gaobot, polybot, spybot). McAfee said that it expects continued increases in the threat from bots, programs that install on a computer but are controlled from outside it; adware and spyware; and phishing scams.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:42 AM

So McAfee is a screw up.

What else is news?

:thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users