Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Practice Vpn Server\client

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike19865586

Mike19865586

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

Okay everyone I have a question that shouldn't be too hard to answer, what I am trying to do is practice setting up a VPN server and a VPN Client.

My Current setup is:
1)Modem\Router (Providing DHCP) Connected to WAP\Switch (Providing NAT)--->One public IP Address
2)One computer wired to the switch
3)Two Wireless computers accessing the WAP\Switch

I would like to set up this VPN connection as though the Client was connecting via an insecured network (Implementing Encryption\Authentication). How should I go about this??? I know that it's possible to use XP Pro as a VPN Client\Server, I'm just having a hard time deciding on an appropriate setup. Maybe I could divide my network into two seperate subnets???

*Again, this is only for practice, I am not actually connecting from a remote location*

Any help would be appreciated,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

For true testing you really need to put your client (the one connecting) on a completely different network or not attached to one at all.

#3 Mike19865586

Mike19865586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:32 PM

Is there anyway that you could briefly summarize how to do this?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

So you have a cable/dsl modem connected to a switch/router that is running nat? What kind of switch is this.

Then you have one computer hardwired into the switch and two others connecting via wireless? I assume the compute rare running some private ip addresses like 192.168.x.x?

What you are trying to do is hard to do with your current setup as you would need two different networks. Something like take another switch and cteat a brand new network that can route to the other one. Put one of the computers there so it appears to be on a different network and then test your connections. Does your switch support vpn connections? That may make it easier.

Is this a learning experiment, or are you trying to make a solution?

#5 Mike19865586

Mike19865586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

About the switch, it's actually a Wireless router with DHCP switched off. NAT is provided by the DSL Modem\Router, not the Wireless Router (For some reason the DSL Modem and the Wireless Router both have NAT turned on)

Yes, I am using Private IP Addresses.

This is only a learning experience.

Thanks,
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users