Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"justify Your Existence!"

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:03 AM

Bare with me its long.

Set the scene
You are in your local store about to pay for your goods when a largely built man enters. He quite rudely cuts the que and stares at the cashier. The cashier gives him a friendly but nervous smile, which he returns. He then proceeds to pull a gun from his inside jacket pocket and shoots the cashier point blank in the face! He then turns to shoot a woman trying to escape in the back, 3 times. Another man who was behind you in the que attempts to be the hero and kicks him full on in the groin. The murderer stares for a bit and then bursts out laughin, manic glee in his eyes. He taps his crotch with the gun and a hollow sound is heard. He is obviously wearing a groin guard. He then rewards the would be hero with a hit to the head with the hilt of the gun. You hear a sickening crack, but just for good measure the shooter shoots him in the back of the head. He then calmly turns to you! He levels the gun at you, aiming it between your eyes and says;

"Justify your existence..." He proceeds to pull a stopwatch from another pocket "...you have exactly 20 seconds....go..."
End scene

What would you say? What gives your life purpose? The reason for this is because if we can get enough answers maybe we can make a "blueprint" for the age old question 'What is the meaning of life'. I say a blueprint as it it is one of those questions that cant really be answered but lets have a go.

Keep in mind you only have 20 seconds so it has to be kept short and sweet. I will play the role of the "mad-man" and will time how long it takes to read the answers (I'll read fast-ish :thumbsup: ) and will be "shooting" anyone that exceeds the time limit. If you get shoot by all means try again. Just try to condense your answer a bit and for convienience (and my curiosity to see what you left out) can you put something like second attempt at the beginning.

Anyway, I hope to hear from alot of people and look forward to your answers.

Ben
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

Just to get the ball rolling here is what I would say (minus the stammering, etc):

"I am here to live life to the fullest extent possible and to try and experience as much of what life can offer as I possibly can"
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

"I am here to be a parent to my children and beside that live the life I always wanted to "

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

I would hope he's as thick as a brick.Tell him he's out of bulletts.When he looks down to check,run like hell. :thumbsup:

#5 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

I would hope he's as thick as a brick.Tell him he's out of bulletts.When he looks down to check,run like hell.

BANG!!! "Wrong answer!"

:thumbsup: Our first casualty!! Nope hes actually extremely smart...Just not all there in the head. Plus, the gun being aimed at your head, he wouldnt need to look down :flowers:. try again!

Good answer there Fozzie. A parents perspective. BTW if you see an answer that you honestly would have said you can still say it again. Just try not to be tempted to read some of the answers and say, "Ohh, thats good. I'll have that!"

Edited by athelos, 15 February 2007 - 11:33 AM.

--Charles Schultz

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

If he has just shot someone in the face,my guess he wouldn't be in the mood to listen to someones Jibberish.
He can't be extremely smart and not all there in the head at the same time.
Give him your wallet and hope for the best.If he's that much of a nut,sob stories wont help you.IMO.

Edited by DSTM, 15 February 2007 - 11:48 AM.

#7 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

Why can he not be extremely smart and a little crazy? You dont have to be sane to be smart do you? As for the shooting someone in the face it is merely a story. You are missing the point. Im more interested in hearing what people value most in their life and what they feel makes life...life.
--Charles Schultz

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

I wasn't trying to be smart,athelos,just realistic.I'll bow out. :thumbsup:

#9 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:07 PM

:flowers: Its okey DSTM. Lol, I expected someone to be awckward :trumpet: (just kidding). This is the speak easy after all and were supposed to raise question. I hope you will give an answer though. Or maybe your attempt at running could be interpretted as:

"I live to survive"

maybe? I think I was too quick in shooting you :thumbsup: .

Ben
--Charles Schultz

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

:cool: Its okey DSTM. Lol, I expected someone to be awckward :flowers: (just kidding). This is the speak easy after all and were supposed to raise question. I hope you will give an answer though. Or maybe your attempt at running could be interpretted as:

"I live to survive"

maybe? I think I was too quick in shooting you :trumpet: .

Ben

If you had asked the Question,"What are the things you most value in life and would hate to lose"
Now that would get you the answer, I think you are looking for. :thumbsup:
I think you were too quick in shooting me. :inlove:

#11 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

If you had asked the Question,"What are the things you most value in life and would hate to lose"

Well, if that is how you interpretted the question then your answer will reflect this. I didnt want to make the question too narrow you see. As you can see in my answer is different from Fozzies. We have completely different lives from one another and we saw the question in a different way. If I had asked the question in the way quoted above then the answers would all be along the same lines you see.

Edited by athelos, 15 February 2007 - 12:38 PM.

--Charles Schultz

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

"Justify your existence..." He proceeds to pull a stopwatch from another pocket "...you have exactly 20 seconds....go..."

I live for my family and future.

#13 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

"Truth, Justice, and the American Way!" :thumbsup: (lol, old Superman quote)

sorry athelos, couldn't resist. in all seriousness, i would respond as such:

"to provide love for those i love, and compassion for those i don't. i exist to work toward becoming a human being everyday."

wow, that is one helluva question.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#14 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

:thumbsup: I have to say though blueandgold, that is one hell of an answer!! (the serious one more so than the superman quote :flowers: )

I see we have another family answer from Yano. I can see that becomeing a popular answer already.
--Charles Schultz

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

I do not deal in hypotheticals. I find it rather repulsive to "what if" the carnage described. For one, I doubt anyone would have the wherewithal to even mumble comprehensible words after witnessing whats been described, the brain would be in shock at the visuality and smell. The first blast would have rendered people within roughly 60 feet temporarily deaf, and unable to hear the question. Add the secondary blasts and nobody hears for a week at a minimum. Therefore the "question" is a moot point. If you choose to negate the facts of reality as I just mentioned them? Then I will add my "hypotheticals", to match yours.

As for my situation. He's not talking to me because "The Shooter" would have been dead as soon as that gun came to a rest in the cashiers face. I am authorized to carry a concealed weapon and as luck would have it, he chose my queue to be an idiot. As soon as that gun came out and he focused his attention on the cashier, and at the same instant as she smiled, he was dead. Because he was focused on her he could not possibly see my hand and gun. And on the off chance you say he does see my gun, I at least blow his knee off before he flinches a muscle to attempt his arm swing, to move the gun. And trust me a knee gets blown out a person falls with a quickness. As he goes down, I finish what this idiot started.

I do not answer to any mortal "playing God". And I will not give this scumbag the satisfaction of even thinking he is playing God.

Hows that for an answer?

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users