Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop With Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ap1212

ap1212

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:18 AM

Hey,
I just got a brand new Gateway laptop w/ Windows Vista home premium already installed. I had wanted to wait a few months for most of Vista's bugs/issues to be worked out, but issues with my old laptop made that impossible (detailed in the "Am I infected forum"; almost failed 3 classes as well as extremely close to losing my job as a result :huh: ) My needs are simple: internet access, iTunes, word, excel, powerpoint, and security. Vista, however is not (well not for me at least). Basically, I have NO CLUE how to approach it and most of the info is for people who are upgrading from XP. I was hoping someone could help me with a few things.
1) McAfee security center 7.1 is preinstalled, so that's currently up and running. However, when I turned off windows firewall warned me about the dangers instead of detecting McAfee (like it would on XP) I know there's been issues, but I refuse to soley rely on Windows defender. Suggestions?
2) Should I replace IE7 w/ Firefox? Am I able to? Are there any issues with iTunes? (i need this for my job)
3) What's up with the User accounts control and the protection enabled on IE7?? I can't check email/access any site outside of micrsoft.com unless I turn it all off..and that can't be good! (I'm currently using my roommates computer so I can get some answers.
4) Does the upgrade/preinstalled issue make a difference? :huh:
I really appreciate any insight you can offer!!

:huh: I *deeply* regret not getting a mac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

1. Click thesmall red shield in the task bars. In the Windows which follows, Click "show me available options" select the phrase which says "I have a firewall program which I can monitor myself"
(You can do the same for your antivirus control also) If you do not have the red shield showing, then switch on the firewall again, through the Control panel, and it should appear.)
2. IE 7 is an excellent program, and can be configured to work without the nags. However, Firefox, which I consider a better propgram anyway, will rid you of the nags.
3. I am not aware of any issues with Itunes.
4. No.

It is quite easy, anyway, to turn off all the nags, but this will lower the security of Vista, of course.

Your PS. I have never used a Mac, but accounts are that Microsot Windows, with Vista, runs marginally better than Macs latest offering.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:34 AM

2. I prefer Firefox 2.0 myself and have been running it on Vista since it was in Beta without issues.

ITunes does have issues with Vista - and Apple is working on it. Right now it's a "maybe it'll work, maybe it won't" - but it works on the Gateway desktop at work that we upgraded to Vista from XP. May require some fiddling tho'.

3. This usually isn't an issue with UAC or "Protected Mode" - as I can use it at work and at home (both systems have both enabled). If it were UAC, it'd prompt you for elevation credentials (either permission if your an administrator - or a administrator name and password if you're not). The Protected Mode is more of a "sandbox" rather than a blocker. You may want to check some of the other security settings in IE, your antivirus and antispyware apps.

4. The recommended course for the average user is to get a Vista system preinstalled - as the compatibility problems are taken care of already. Installing incompatible programs will result in headaches. Using the Upgrade version you can also do a clean install - but this will require you to get Vista compatible drivers to realize the full performance of your system. On my home system, the Intel chipset drivers aren't fully compatible with Vista - so I'll have to wait for full performance to come along.

If you upgrade an XP installation to Vista "in place" - there's going to be issues! The problem is that Vista will try it's best to import everything that it can - and if it errs (because the software wasn't written with Vista in mind), then you may end up with big problems.

Finally, even the major software writers (like McAfee) still have some issues with their programs in Vista. This will gradually ease as software becomes written for the "Least privilege" (doesn't need admin permissions to run once it's installed).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ap1212

ap1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:41 AM

:huh: Thanks so much for the info!! Vista is preinstalled and all the drivers are up to date (thank goodness I don't have to attempt that)! I'm still waiting for a reply to my hijack this post before i transfer any files to the new laptop. I want to remove the entire McAfee because I really dislike it. My decision is between bitdefender and AVG. Do you have any recommendations? Including the purchased vs free version?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

I like AVG Free because I've been using it for a long time and haven't had infections with it. AVG Pro has a bit more to offer (and I did buy it for my wife's office), but just doesn't have anything that stands out for me.

I've heard good things about BitDefender, but haven't used it myself. I have no idea about it's compatibility with Vista
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

I have Webroot Spy Sweeper with Anti-Virus (provided by Sophos). This isn't free, but I'm very happy with my purchase.

As far as AVG goes, I my version of Vista couldn't initialize it's kernal interface. I don't like Windows Defender...it doesnt pop up when a new BHO is added, and I'd like to see how and what it scans! (seems to be missing) :huh:

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are both excellent, free anti-spyware applications!

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users