Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Housemaster

Housemaster

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

Ok, I've been trying to fix this for 3 or 4 hours, so I might sound a little annoyed... Um, anyways. Every other computer in the house can connect to the internet, EXCEPT mine. I have a Compaq Presario X1000 laptop, running Windows XP home. And for some reason, It says: "this problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer" in the support tab of the status box ... So I manually give myself an IP./ I set: IP, Default Gateway, DNS, Subnet mask... all correctly, and I know this because the computer I'm using right now has the EXACT same settings... well, except for the IP, which obviously can't be the same... It SAYS that I'm connected, but it fails to access the internet. As in, It says I'm connected, but I can't exactly do anything. I've tried restarting (at least 5 times), I've tried the stupid tutorials on the comp itself (which were of no help), etc... Someone please help me! It's gotten me to the point where I'm so annoyed that I could cry!
Usual Config (in case it helps)
IP: 192.168.1.101
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS1: 68.20.159.100
DNS2: 68.20.59.101
...and all of these work, they're tested... AND it's not the cord, I tested it with one that should work... So there's very little that it could be... but then again, I don't know computers all that well.
EDIT: Wow, well. I have to do Homework... and it's online. I need the email and the internet on my comp so I can do it... I REALLY hope somebody comes to my rescue soon...
EDIT2: Well... It's been 30 minutes, with only 7 people looking at it... I'm goning to go to bed... Hopefully there is a response when I get up in the morning...

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Housemaster, 14 February 2007 - 08:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

ok, see if you can ping another computer, your router, even better. start>run> type in "cmd" hit enter>type "ping 192.168.1.1" then hit enter, (in the dos command box that opens). if you come back with 4 "replies", you have lan access, just no net access. if this is the case, try setting your dns server to the router, make the dns ip, 192.168.1.1
either way-
-go to http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html download thte file, then run it.
this will replace some registry keys and reset host files that pertain to your tcp/ip suite. it may have to do with dhcp issues you are having.

post back to let us know how you are doing.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Housemaster

Housemaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

Yes... Yes, yes, yes! it worked! Yay! Now I'm back on the internet... at school. But, It didnt work at school either (at first), and so this shows (hopefully) that it'll work at home! Thank you so much!! I'm finally back on the internet!!! YAY! (You wouldn't believe how happy I am right now...) Well, that's funny, fixed IN SCHOOL in < ten minutes, when I tried at home for 3-4 hours... wow, I really need to learn more about computers. Heh, Thanks again for the help!!!!!

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

lol! no prob...make yer check payable to........JK!
share your new wealth
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users