Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Install Success! How Do Transfer I Files Etc?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

Finally got HD working and XP reinstalled. I have no idea how to connect to internet etc now. I don't know if I have wireless software etc or whether I've got to somehow load them etc. Can I transfer all this stuff from my old drive using the external enclosure kit? The kit includes a usb cord to attach to laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

After installing XP, you'll need to install the drivers for your computer. If you don't have them, you can download them (from another computer) from the manufacturer's website. Once the drivers are installed, you should be able to connect to the web.

Then immediately visit Windows Update
Then immediately install anti-virus and anti-spyware protection and update them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 GamerTrend

GamerTrend

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

Finally got HD working and XP reinstalled. I have no idea how to connect to internet etc now. I don't know if I have wireless software etc or whether I've got to somehow load them etc. Can I transfer all this stuff from my old drive using the external enclosure kit? The kit includes a usb cord to attach to laptop.

I too am having the same problems so should I just go to my manufacturers website and download the drivers there? (Sony btw)? And it will show me network interface card (NIC).
Support Topics Solved - 0

Goals l50 Postl - 100 Post- 200 post - 500 post - 1000 post

Gamer Trend Coming Soon!

If I've helped you in any way. A simple PM saying that I have or a post in the topc would be greatly appreciated. I like knowing when I have helped someone :D.

#4 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:31 PM

certainly go to the manufacturer's website and download all the applicable drivers for your hardware.

if your NIC is built in then it will see it, if your nic is a PCI card then you will have to download the drivers for that as well.

#5 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:28 PM

I got the drivers off the discs Dell sent me. My laptop is working fine now. Had to download the ATI video driver off the web. I downloaded zone alarm,avg,defender, ccleaner, Dell quickset, and avast. I should be fairly well protected now.
Now on to the File transferring..............
Can I transfer files right from my old drive (via the external enclosure) or do I have to use the Files Transfer wizard?

#6 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:22 PM

Check the instructions to my Apricorn Kit

http://www.apricorn.com/pdf_product_manuals/EZ%20Up.pdf

I read them but I don't fully understand them. Can I just hook up the old drive(now in the external enclosure) and retrieve files and transfer them to the new drive(in the laptop)?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

You can just hook up and copy the files from the old drive to the new. But be sure to set the old drive to Slave (and that the new is set to Master) so that you don't mess up the boot sequence.

Also, you may have Access Denied errors depending on the file system used (NTFS does this) - so here's a link about how to get access: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:27 AM

how do I set the old drive to slave?

#9 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:01 AM

On the back of the old hard drive you will see a jumper, which can be removed with tweezers. Also on the hard drive there will be a label which will tell you which slot the jumper needs to be in to set to slave.
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm
The site above I have used to show you where the master/slave jumper is.
MCP
MSDST

#10 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:32 PM

no jumpers on the drive...where can i purchase jumpers?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

You can probably purchase them online - but it's easier to go to a local computer store and see if you can get one from them. Have the make of your hard drive handy in case there's a question about which one (they all look the same to me tho').

#12 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:49 PM

Once I get the drive set to slave...will I be able to simply drag and drop them files to my new drive?

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:22 PM

Normally that's all that's required. You may receive an Access Denied error (this is due to different SID's on each installation of XP) - it's readily fixed by using this mini-guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/

The reason is that NTFS disks have security descriptors (SID's) that are attached to them and they are "owned" by the system that they were created on. In order to use them on another system, you first have to take ownership of the files. Once that's done, you may have to give yourself (the owner) permission to do anything with them also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users