Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Users On Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jim1959

jim1959

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

Hi
My question is regarding spybot search & destroy. I have multiple accounts on my pc. When I run spybot
on my account the result comes up showing no spyware. However if I then run a scan on one of the other users then I get a result showing some spyware.
What I want to know is does anyone know how to configure spybot so that a full system scan will check every account on the pc and show results for all users.
Sorry if this is posted to the wrong forum. I tried to post to the spyware forum but was not allowed.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 14 February 2007 - 07:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

Good question.

I always assumed it checked each account for spyware, cookies etc; so when I got the report and cleaned everything out, I was taking care of my account and my wife's.

I thought it worked that way with all the programs I have installed such as SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Avg etc;

I hope someone will answer this.

Thanks for asking the question !

Dennis :thumbsup:

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

Ad-Aware is the only one that I am aware of at this time that will check all accounts when you scan if you set it up that way, and it is a rather recent development. Spybot you have to scan in each individual account. I'm not sure about the other anti-spyware programs at this time as I now have but one account on my computer.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

Thanks Orange Bloosom.

I ran Ad-Aware on my account and it came up clean. I then ran it on my wifes account and it picked up 15 cookies.
I then ran AVG my account was clean and my wifes had 32 cookies. I ran SpyBot and I had nothing, my wife's account had 5 cookies.

Wlill they all at least pick up spyware, tojans etc; no matter whose account they are run on ?

Thanks,

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

For Ad-Aware. Open it, then click on the gear, the second icon from the left at the top, to open the configuration panel. Click on the Tweak button. Now expand the scanning engine section by clicking on the little plus sign to the left. Make sure there is a green disk with a check in it by "Scan registry for all users instead of current user only" If there isn't, click on the red disk with an x in it to change it to the green disk with a check in it. Ad-Aware will now check all users when you scan. This is the only anti-spyware program I know of that will do that.

With all the others, play it safe and scan in all the different user accounts.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

Thanks !
It was red. Now it is green. One less scan to do.

I have Norton Security 2006 and Windows Defender. Do those need to be scanned on both accounts separately ??

Sorry jim1959, I do not mean to be hijacking your thread.

Edited by Dennis H, 15 February 2007 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users