Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan Cable Unplugged

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheMainEvent

TheMainEvent

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:05 PM

Alright I'm not too good at explaining things so bare with me lol. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop running off of Windows XP Home Edition, and my computer connects to the internet through a wireless connection. Recently when turning the computer on I got a blue screen, but it disappeared before I could read it and the computer booted up normally so I thought nothing of it. Once I logged into my account I got a notification saying that my LAN connection wasn't working because a network cable was unplugged. I unplugged/plugged in the Linksys router, but it didn't help. I checked that the connection was enabled so that's not the problem either. My brother also runs off of the same system, but everythings working fine for him. Are there any viruses/trojans that could be causing this or is it more likely a hardware problem? If you need any other information let me know and I'll post it up as soon as I can, thanks in advance.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 14 February 2007 - 07:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

You say your laptop connects to a wireless network. Do you mean that your laptop has awireless card or that your run an ethernet cable from your laptop to a wireless receiver of some kind.

#3 TheMainEvent

TheMainEvent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

It has a built in card

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:35 AM

So, can you access the internet?

#5 TheMainEvent

TheMainEvent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

Nope :thumbsup: I'm using a different computer to get on here.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

Hmm... I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

#7 RELOADED

RELOADED

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:34 PM

hi there :inlove: as you see i am a new member :thumbsup:

sorry for the interrupt :bike: :woot: but i am thinking of something :flowers: what about the IP addresses ( in the Linksys Router ) :trumpet: are they assigned by DHCP !

[Hint:- sorry for my weak english language ]
No goal is worthy of our time and effort if all we are going to get out of it is an end result.
If I have been helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours, please shoot me a PM. Thanks.

#8 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

Please read http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/ on How to update a Windows hardware driver.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for your internal wireless network card, e.g., IntelPRO/Wireless 2915ABG. Go to the Dell website and under Support find the Drivers/Downloads section and navigate to your computer's hardware. You can check what card you have by right clicking My Computer, Properties, then Hardware, Device Manager, select your Network Adapter, right click, and choose Properties. Write down the version number of your driver so you can compare to that on the current Dell Support page. Try this first, and after a reboot, let us know if this solution works.
drymobius

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

The indication that a cable is unplugged normally comes from a wired connection - not from a wireless connection. I suspect that your system is trying to connect via a wired connection rather than the wireless one.

Try right clicking on the wireless icon in the system tray and viewing the available wireless networks. Select yours and then click on "Connect".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users