Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Mule

The Mule

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:58 AM

I have a fairly new pc that is making a considerable about of noise. The longer it's on, the noisier it gets - humming, vibrating, and ultimately -- when the entire chassis begins to vibrate -- it sounds like a leaf blower. Very annoying. A gentle nudge (or a slightly less gentle kick) will usually reduce the leaf blower effect to a loud humming. But it's still loud enough to be considerably annoying.

Could it be that I just have a junky fan in there that needs to be replaced? Or should I try some sort of foam insulation in the case? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:38 AM

Just guessing but I would say the case fan bearings are about to go out. I recommend you replace the case fan. (less than $10.00 here if you shop around) Just my 2
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:54 AM

Yes a good call there bear.

Waves at bear

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 06:39 AM

It could also be your CPU, Video Card or Power supply fan, if you don't have a case fan. I would suspect the power supply fan based on the symptoms you are describing. If your machine is still new enough to be under warranty suggest you go that route ASAP.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:57 AM

It is a fan I had the same problem dust does it. ABout ten bucks and your up and going. Mine I think was my power suply fan....

Or another....

But yeah a very loud noise thats it!

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

And please don't delay a fix...smoking is bad for people and computers. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#7 The Mule

The Mule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:15 PM

Thanks everybody. I will open it up and see if I can figure out which fan is responsible.

#8 The Mule

The Mule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:21 PM

Well, it's the CPU fan. Can anyone recommend a good quiet replacement?

#9 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:59 PM

What CPU socket do you have? This one is pretty quiet. I bought it for a barebones PC and it turned out to be quieter than the case fan.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#10 The Mule

The Mule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:16 PM

It's a 4.78... So not compatible with that model I guess... Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks again.

BTW - I ran the computer without the side panel on it for awhile, and boy was it quieter!

Edited by The Mule, 05 January 2005 - 03:31 PM.

#11 The Mule

The Mule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:10 PM

Can anyone recommend a good, quiet CPU fan for a P4 478 socket? I've been looking at some of the Zalman fans, and they seem to get pretty good reviews. Anybody here have any personal experience?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users