Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike19865586

Mike19865586

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

I would like to upgrade my computer but I don't exactly know what I need to buy. It's been so long since I've built a computer, I guess I got left behind and now all of this new technology is bombarding me from both sides.
*You'll have to excuse the rhying* :thumbsup:

I would like to purchase the following
-CPU
-Motherboard
-Memory (If needed)
-Full Tower Case (If Possible)

My current computer has the following:
-CPU: 1.6 GHZ P4 Socket 478
-Motherboard: Abit SD7-533
-Memory: 768MB DDR PC2100

I would mainly use the computer for doing research, watching movies, and downloading\Uploading files. My spending limit is only $300-$350.00, I hope I can get something decent. :confused:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :huh:

Thanks,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

Well, that doesn't seem like enough to really get faster then what you have now. If you plan on getting windows vista, just that disc will cost you 100$ and thats for the basic version. Well anyways just for parts, the newer socket for processors is 775 for intel, and AM2 for AMD. These sockets support dual core processors, but those alone cost around 200$ just for the cheapest! You could always get a better pentium 4 processor with socket 775, or a single core AMD-64 processor for an AMD motherboard.

If you don't want to go to those sockets I would just suggest upgrading your current processor to a pentium 4 at about 3.0 Ghz, and getting 1gb of ram. You could always get another hard drive too. This would be a more cost effective way if your not planning on playing any games or doing video editing. But then again if you build another computer you would have two, and having two computers is always nice :thumbsup:

Edited by Sterling14, 14 February 2007 - 05:01 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users