Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Drive Not Recognized. Can't Install Xp!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:48 AM

I tried to do a clean install of XP(since cloning wouldn't work)....I booted using the XP reinstall disk and it gives me a message stating that their is no hard drive installed. The new drive is a Seagate Momentus 5400.
How do i get my Dell 9300 to recognize the drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

ATA or SATA? Did you double check the cables, jumpers and Bios settings?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

ata. No cables...it's an internal drive. I believe it's set to master. Pins are identical to the oem hd that I took out. I have no idea how to change BIOS settings. I got into BIOS menu, but I don't know what to change. I didn't see anything in there having anything to do with hd.

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

No cables??. . .Did you hook it up to the motherboard?

Posted Image

#5 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:46 AM

In my laptop...I just place drive in the drive caddy and slide it in. When I put the old drive back in...I just slide it in and the computer works just fine. I literally only takes about 60 seconds to swap the drive. When I put in the new drive....it gives a Internal HDD error!
What am I looking for in the BIOS menu to change? Even when the good drive is in the laptop my BIOS does not show anything regarding what drive drive is in my laptop. Is there more than 1 BIOS area?
The BIOS screen I see when I hit F2 gives me the following headings:

System
Onboard devices
Integrated NIC
MiniPCi status
Modem enable

Video
security
power management
maintenence
post behavior
wireless

#6 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

Found the problem!! There was an extender piece that fits on the pins....now the hD powers up.

Next question: I want to create a partition for XP and 1 to be later used to reinstall dell media direct. how do i do that. I have to leave 1.5gb space for the media direct. Do i just create 1 large partition(minus 1.5gb) or do i need a partition for XP, 1 for media direct(later install). Never done this before so I'll need some help

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

Easiest way would be install XP then use a 3rd party tool to shrink the partition so that you can add one.

You can use the fdisk command off of a floppy or bootable cd - you can probably get this (or a similar setup tool) for free from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users