Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Booting Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Schumi

Schumi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

Hi All,

My parents computer won't boot up. It seems to post (if I understand the term correctly). I can't put the photos I took of the two boot screens, but I think you will know what I'm talking about. The first screen shows the standard stuff, that the HDD, CD-ROM and memory are all detected. But then the computer hangs on the next screen that shows the chart of PCI devices, IRQ's, etc. I don't get anything like a BOOT DISK FAILURE that I've seen before on this screen at the bottom when Windows or the disk is corrupt, we just a hard hang.

One thing that does really concern me and I'm lost is that when I power it on, it doesn't start up right away (like the power supply is chugging away same when starting your car engine). What I hear is a very high pitch noise coming directly from the power supply, then after 5-10 seconds, the power fully kicks in. I listened to the HDD and it seems to be spinning fine and the CD-ROM works since if I put in the Windows installation disk, it want's to go into the installer.

I can't even get into the BIOS of the system from hitting DEL on the first screen because all the lights come lit up and say lit up on the keyboard when it powers on (caps lock, num lock and scroll lock) and won't accept any input I guess. Something is definetely wrong there. When the power is first turned on and I hear the high pitch sound, the lights turn on the keyboard as mentioned above, but very dim like minimal power is getting there. After the 5-10 seconds, they light up fully when the fans start spinning, etc and the power seems to be full in the system. Also, just thought that I'd mention, the power light directly on the motherboard is always on so I know some power is getting there.

Ever seen anything like this before, or suggestions on what it could be? I still want to take the HDD out and try it in a another machine as a slave when I get a chance so I can rule out that it's not defective.

Thanks for your help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

Yeah if you have the chance, I would try to get data off that harddrive sooner rather than later.

Posted Image

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

Sounds like a capacitor may be failing in the power supply (squeal). Replace the power supply.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 Schumi

Schumi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

Sounds like a capacitor may be failing in the power supply (squeal). Replace the power supply.

Somebody else told me that it could be the fan in the power supply itself that is seizing too and drawing enough power to mess with the other stuff. Any idea why that would have the bootup stop and freeze on the second screen after the POST?

My parents did tell me that when they came down to use it the other day that it was already on that screen. The only thing I can make of it is that the computer reset somehow and corrupted Windows. But I still don't get the BOOT DISK FAILURE message I have seen in the past on other machines. So I'll try to get the data off that hard drive is it's not already gone. Nice thing is I backed up all their important stuff over Christmas so it's not a total loss if it is, only about a months work of stuff. They are happy to hear that and I guess something told me that maybe this would be coming :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users