Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Or Motherboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:32 AM

I wanted to upgrade my dads old computer to use it for web browsing. Its from 1999 I think. Well anyways my friend had an old stick of 168 pin Sdram pc133, 256mb ram. I put it in my computer and everything starts up fine, but its only detected as 128mb. This is weird because the motherboard can support up to 256mb. I then put the old 64mb stick back in (thought it might get confused if i put too much ram in) with the 256 stick and its detected as 192mb. I'm wondering if its the ram or my motherboard doing this. I guess 64mb more isn't going to make a huge difference, but I think its weird that the sticker says 256mb, and its only 128mb. Also I looked it up using everest and it said it is only a 128mb stick.

One of my conclusions was that since it has 2 slots for ram, and only supports up to 256mb, it figured you would put in two sticks of 128mb. My other conclusion was that the sticker is just wrong :thumbsup: . My graphics don't use system memory, and I don't have any other computers this old to test it on. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:57 AM

Sounds like your new ram that you installed is the wrong type, so your mobo won't recognize it. If your mobo supports 256 ram, but only supports 233mhz and the ram your installing is faster than that, then it won't recognize it. :flowers:

You can try to search the web for older ram to fit it and work, but you'd have to get the specs from your motherboard to ensure that you're not wasting your money buying more ram that won't work. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

The PC recognizes 256MB of total RAM. 128MB in each slot. That is why the 256MB stick is seen as 128MB. Common for old Socket 7 motherboards.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 IainR

IainR

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:00 AM

Similar problem here. I've an A Open MX3W Pro E. Checking this out on the memory advisor at Cruical.com and it came out that this mobo would cope with a max of 512MB up to PC133. This is confirmed on the AOpen website. I've put in a Kingston Value RAM KVR133X72C2/256 but it's only recognised as 128MB.

I've come across some references to updating the BIOS, so I've tried downloading the update from the AOpen site, but it does not appear to have made any difference.

Edited by IainR, 16 February 2007 - 08:21 AM.

#5 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:02 AM

Like said before, mobos might only support 128mb per slot or somthing. Another thing is that if you try to use high-density ram on a motherboard that does not support high density, It will only detect half of what there really is and not really work.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:37 AM

If you know the make and model of the computer or motherboard if it's a custom build you can go to Crucial and use their memory advisor. This will tell you what RAM is used in your computer and the maximum amount per slot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users