Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To Linux But Wana Give It A Go!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:55 AM

ok first off i wanna try linux but have just realised that there is loads of different versions!!

it all seems intimidating but really wanna give it a go.

i do love tinkerin with pc's (usually ends up in problems an then come on here to get em fixed :flowers: )

my pc specs are amd 3400+, 2gig of ddr, ati radeon 256mb graphics x600 series, 320 hd.

which version would be best be suited to my pc?, what are the advantages of using linux and what problems would i be likely to come against?

i know that the info is probably all here in these forums but when you dont know what you on about it gets confusing!

any reply would be great! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:59 AM

Try out one of the live linux distros. That way you can play around without the need to install anything on your computer. I've tried Puppy Linux and it's fairly quick and easy to get up and running with.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:16 AM

how does that work then?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

The whole operating system is contained on a CD. You boot off the CD and it loads into your memory and runs from there. You can still access the files on your HDD but there is no need to install anything. You can download an .iso file from the Puppy Linux website, burn it to a CD and then you're good to go.

Puppy Linux
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:34 AM

any distro will work fine on that machine. Anything at all.
For an easy transition from windows I would recommend either Ubuntu Mandriva, Fedora or Suse

Most can be run from a LiveCD, all are fairly easy to install.
I would recommend you dual boot until you're comfortable enough with linux to get rid of windows all together.

#6 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

cheers :thumbsup:

#7 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

right.i've made the bootable live cd, but unable to connect to the internet.do i need to install the drivers for the dsl modem again or is there some way it will recognise the usb connection.i do realise that its probably something i've not done.the menus look very complicated and it is probably in there somewhere!

update:found a couple of files on sourceforgebut as ive been looking around when im running puppy i havent been able to find anything about whats on my hardrive.
so do i need to put these rar files onto the bootable cd too an will they be found on there?
anyone?

Edited by arny, 14 February 2007 - 04:52 PM.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:38 AM

I'm no expert in Linux (or Puppy for that matter) but I seem to remember that Puppy doesn't like to use a USB internet connection. It much prefers an ethernet connection.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:51 AM

right.d/loaded both ubuntu 64 and sabayon 64.which is the most user friendly and if anyone knows which supports usb modems?
cheers

#10 karno7

karno7

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:44 AM

Hi. Your computer will run any distro no problems. If you are just curious about Linux and how different it is to XP then I recommend a live CD. If your looking for a complete operating system that can replace or work alongside XP, Sabayon or Ark Linux.

#11 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

There are many great distributions of Linux. There are sites (I think) with lists of lots of them and the features they have. Choose one that looks like it has the features you want. I have used lots of live cds like Suse, puppy, slax, and backtrack. They are all fine. Suse is way user friendly and complete, slax and backtrack have lots of good tools and they're really small. I didn't like puppy as much.... maybe just because I had an old version. I have also done full installs with ones like Mandrivia. Like Suse, complete and user friendly. There are others like Fendora Core, Ubantu, etc that you might want to look into.

There are some problems with Linux (I love it though) like its made for more advanced users, you cant/its really hard to get newer games to work. There can also be driver problems (right now, my wifi is not working), and it has confusing shell commands and setup.

Its free though. ;)

#12 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

You might, might be able to get a USB modem connection to work if you installed a linux distro fully to the hard drive, but I think trying to get one to work from a LiveCD is pretty much out of the question.

If at ALL possible, find a way to get your internet through an ethernet line, you'll be much better off on all counts that way.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users