Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ads Show Up The Top Of Every Page

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nacho311

Nacho311

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:22 AM

Alright, here's the situation:

I have both Internet Explorer & Mozilla. I'd love to stick with Mozilla, however, whenever I copy tables from the Mozilla web browser and paste it in Excel, ALL the items appear in one cell and they don't get spread out.

IF THERE IS A WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM, THEN REPLY NOW AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ THE REST OF THIS. IF THERE ISN'T A WAY TO FIX THIS, PLEASE READ ON.

The only way to cut a paste a table from a web page to Excel is if I'm using the Internet Explorer web browser. However, in Internet Explorer (this doesn't appear in my Mozilla) ads show up at the top of every page. It didn't used to be like this, which tells me I have some sort of spy ware or something. The following links show examples:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/Nacho311/problem1.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/Nacho311/problem2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/Nacho311/problem3.jpg

These ads are constantly reloading, making the browser slow and makes it VERY difficult to copy & paste tables due to this. Here are some things I have already tried to get rid of these ads:

1) System Restore
2) Virus Scan
3) Spy Ware Scan
4) Deleted all Temporary Internet Files, Cookies & History
5) Disabled all Internet Explorer Add-Ons
6) Uninstalled Internet Explorer & then reinstalled
7) Disabled everything in the "Startup" tab in "System Configuration Utility"
8) Went to Add/Remove Programs and removed anything that I was unsure of

To no avail, I have not gotten rid of this thing yet. I viewed the HTML code from these ads and here is the code:

<html><head></head><body leftmargin='0' topmargin='0' marginheight='0' marginwidth='0'>
<!-- RefreshBot Code Begin -->
<script language="JavaScript">
if(top.location == location)
{
document.write("<CENTER><IFRAME ID='RefreshBot' WIDTH='728' HEIGHT='90' FRAMEBORDER='0' scrolling='no' SRC='http://aaalue.com/adrotate.php'></IFRAME></CENTER>");
}

var TimerVar;
function TimedRefresh()
{
var xtop=document.getElementById("RefreshBot");
if(xtop!=null) xtop.src = xtop.src;
TimerVar=setTimeout("TimedRefresh()",15000);
}
TimerVar=setTimeout("TimedRefresh()",15000)

var TimerVar2;
function TimedRefresh2()
{
var x300=document.getElementById("RefreshBot300");
if(x300!=null) x300.src = x300.src;

var x728=document.getElementById("RefreshBot728");
if(x728!=null) x728.src = x728.src;

var x160=document.getElementById("RefreshBot160");
if(x160!=null) x160.src = x160.src;

var x120=document.getElementById("RefreshBot120");
if(x120!=null) x120.src = x120.src;

TimerVar2=setTimeout("TimedRefresh2()",20000)
}
TimerVar2=setTimeout("TimedRefresh2()",20000)

</script>
<!-- RefreshBot Code End -->

<!-- BEGIN STANDARD TAG - 468x60/728x90 - ROS Non-Adult: Run-of-site Non-Adult - DO NOT MODIFY --><script TYPE="text/javascript" SRC="http://content.yieldx.com/rmtag3.js"></SCRIPT><script language="JavaScript">var rm_host = "http://ad.yieldx.com";var rm_section_id = 49181;var rm_promote_sizes = 1;rmShowAd("468x60/728x90");</SCRIPT><!-- END TAG --></body></html>

It's like a separate web page on top of the page I want to view. Anyway, does anybody know what is going on? Does anybody have any tricks on how I can get rid of this? If I should post this in a different topic room, please let me know.

Many thanks to all who help! :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:51 AM

You're copying/pasting a framed page. That means you are copying/pasting more than one page at a time.

Aslo, in Excel, you have to either copy the database structure of the page in Excel using the right-click while you're on the page, and it will normally give you an option to paste it in Excel. If it doesn't then everything you paste in Excel will be all crammed into 1 cell.

Make no mistake about this... what you can do perfectly on one website into Excel doesn't mean every site you do will be the same.

The sites you do that come out perfectly are in a database format, and that's why some come out right and some don't. The web pages that don't come out correctly as you want them to in Excel, is because they're not in a database format, I'm 99.99% sure of that.
============================================================

What you should do is try this.....

The page you're wanting to copy/paste into Excel right-click on the part you want. Not the top of the page, nor any other part, but just the section you need. You should see an Excel menu giving you the option to paste it in Excel. If not, it's not a database format that will go directly into Excel.

If that doesn't work 1.....

What you will need to do if that doesn't work is right-click on the page content you want, and then choose Open Link In New Tab....(if using Firefox).. and it should open the page again, but this time without the framed pages. Then try to do it again in Excel... If that doesn't work, then the page isn't in a database format.

If that doesn't work 2.....

What you will need to do is copy/paste your content into Notepad, and then from Notepad, copy/paste it into the Excel. You may be in for alot of work doing it that way too.

You can always copy/paste the content into an HTML editor, then strip away all unwanted coding and such and go from there.

I can go on and on with suggestions, but hopefully one of them above will work for you. If not, hopefully someone else can give a quicker/better solution to your situation.

If it's not a personal thing, can you post the link to the site? That way others can look and help you out more.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:24 AM

Hi Nacho311. The ads appear to be coming from a adware service known as yieldx. My brief research makes me think this is a pretty nasty infection. You should post a HijackThis log for our crack team of analysts. Read this topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ for info on how to post a HJT log.

As an interim stopgap solution, try adding yieldx.com to your Internet Explorer restricted sites list.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 14 February 2007 - 04:32 AM.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:38 AM

Welcome to BC. Please tell us what kind of anti virus-/and firewall software you have installed. As far as the adds showing up in IE, you can do the following :
BC Tutorial. Firefox has some nice add ons like this one.

As far as your present problem is concerned please do the following :

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

Reboot and tell us whether the problem still persists.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

See if this extension will do what you're looking for:
Table2Clipboard
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Nacho311

Nacho311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

You're copying/pasting a framed page. That means you are copying/pasting more than one page at a time.

Aslo, in Excel, you have to either copy the database structure of the page in Excel using the right-click while you're on the page, and it will normally give you an option to paste it in Excel. If it doesn't then everything you paste in Excel will be all crammed into 1 cell.

Make no mistake about this... what you can do perfectly on one website into Excel doesn't mean every site you do will be the same.

The sites you do that come out perfectly are in a database format, and that's why some come out right and some don't. The web pages that don't come out correctly as you want them to in Excel, is because they're not in a database format, I'm 99.99% sure of that.
============================================================

What you should do is try this.....

The page you're wanting to copy/paste into Excel right-click on the part you want. Not the top of the page, nor any other part, but just the section you need. You should see an Excel menu giving you the option to paste it in Excel. If not, it's not a database format that will go directly into Excel.

If that doesn't work 1.....

What you will need to do if that doesn't work is right-click on the page content you want, and then choose Open Link In New Tab....(if using Firefox).. and it should open the page again, but this time without the framed pages. Then try to do it again in Excel... If that doesn't work, then the page isn't in a database format.

If that doesn't work 2.....

What you will need to do is copy/paste your content into Notepad, and then from Notepad, copy/paste it into the Excel. You may be in for alot of work doing it that way too.

You can always copy/paste the content into an HTML editor, then strip away all unwanted coding and such and go from there.

I can go on and on with suggestions, but hopefully one of them above will work for you. If not, hopefully someone else can give a quicker/better solution to your situation.

If it's not a personal thing, can you post the link to the site? That way others can look and help you out more.

I appreciate the help Walkman. Unfortunately it didn't work. Here is a sample of what I am trying to copy:

http://mlb.mlb.com/searchPlayerSearchServl...&position=C

I'm trying to copy all the players, and as you can see, it's broken down in three columns: Player, Team & Position. Now in Firefox, it doesn't give the option to paste in Excel. Even when I copy & paste, it doesn't work. When I do it in Internet Explorer, it works like a charm.

I'm still perplexed.

#7 Nacho311

Nacho311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

Hi Nacho311. The ads appear to be coming from a adware service known as yieldx. My brief research makes me think this is a pretty nasty infection. You should post a HijackThis log for our crack team of analysts. Read this topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ for info on how to post a HJT log.

As an interim stopgap solution, try adding yieldx.com to your Internet Explorer restricted sites list.

Thank you very much! The link you gave me told me to download Ad-Aware and that did the trick! Thank you & everyone for all your help!

See if this extension will do what you're looking for:
Table2Clipboard

Ah, yes! That's what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

Your very welcome. Perhaps now you'll stick around and let us enjoy your company? Answer a few questions from other users or just sit back and add your thoughts to discussions. :thumbsup:

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

You're quite welcome, Nacho311.
Glad to be of help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users