Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sticky firefox?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Truth Loves You

Truth Loves You

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:35 AM

Wouldn't it help many who come here to sticky an "official" recommendation to switch to using firefox as the exclusive system web browser?

:thumbsup:

// edit: since this was moved: I suggest the sticky at least be posted in the HJT forum

Edited by smashmonkey, 05 January 2005 - 01:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:46 AM

I don't think a sticky (pinned) topic is necessary to help people to understand the benefits of using an alternative browser to IE. And it for sure will not be in the Logs and Analyses Forum. For two reasons:

1. That forum is a special one and not a discussion forum. It's for malware removal only, not debate.

2. Firefox is not a tool or anything related to malware removal. Members of the HJT Team are free to mention Firefox in their recommendations for preventing future infections and many of them do, although it's mostly indirectly by linking to Tony Klein's article So how did I get infected in the first place?

So I think a better suggestion would be to have alternative browers mentioned in the preventative measures pinned topic Simple steps to keep your computer secure! If we pinned a topic just about Firefox, as good as it is and as much as most of us like it, we would sound like a shill and we want to stay unbiased.

Because Firefox is not the only alternative browser out there. And we also don't want to imply that it is a magic bullet. It's not immune to hijacking or comletely free of security holes--just ask the people infected with the newst L2M.

Also some people have no choice but to use IE at times. Most online banking require it and there are still websites that aren't designed to be compatible with anything but IE. Personally, I recommend that people use an alternative browser as much as possible, but pay attention to securing IE so that it isn't a problem when you do have to use it.

There is a fine post about this that has been on the board for a long time and if there is anything like an official policy for this board, this is it. By one of the earliest moderators here and a well respected security guru:
Mozilla Firefox and Opera 7 complementary browsers

Any individual can recommend software that they like and discuss it. Our members do have their own personal preferences and opinions and we want to encourage the sharing of those opinions.

Thanks for sharing yours and thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users