Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compressed Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aaaaa

aaaaa

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:00 AM

Hi

When i run the scanning computer device to free some space on my computer, in my D:, there is this columne reading soemthing like compressed files or seomthing. It is one where they compressed my unused files or seomthing like that.

It took up 2GB of my HDD. So I was wondering, is it save to delete those files? or are they files on my computer which are compressed to free space and if i delete them then i'd lose all those files?

HOpe I explained my self clearly here.

THank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PinFace

PinFace

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

If your multimedia files are still there, than it's ok and you didn't delete anything necessary... :thumbsup:

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:31 AM

Those may be important files that were compressed. Just because they are compressed doesn't mean they are meant for deletion.

How To Use File Compression in Windows XP

How To Use Compressed (Zipped) Folders in Windows XP
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 aaaaa

aaaaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:21 AM

But I didn't do teh compression manually, i think windows XP did it because i didn't use teh files?

And the compressed files showed up in the section where it says to free up space. Like it is in the command where we want to search for files that are deletable to free up space, the compressed files is shown there, taking up 2GB of my HDD.

So it is possible that I delete teh wrong thing even in that command?

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

How much free space is left on your drive?

How To Use Disk Cleanup

With the low cost of hard drive today you should pick up another one for saving your data to. With my setup I use a 20GB partition just for XP, updates and programs that need to be on the OS partition and the rest of the drive is for data storage.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users