Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fbi Lost 160 Of Its Computers In 44 Months

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:38 PM

FBI lost 160 of its computers in 44 months, report says
Some laptops had classified data -- 160 weapons gone, too!

Jennifer A. Dlouhy, Hearst Newspapers
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

(02-13) 04:00 PST Washington -- Every month, the FBI loses track of three to four laptop computers, some of which contain classified or sensitive information...

During a 44-month period from Feb. 1, 2002, to Sept. 30, 2005, the bureau reported 160 lost or stolen laptops, according to the report. In addition, the bureau said 160 weapons had been lost or stolen.

Inspector General Glenn Fine said that was an improvement for the FBI because, in the previous 28-month period, 317 laptops were reported lost or stolen -- about 11 a month. In the same time frame, officials could not account for 354 weapons.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:05 AM

That is exactly like a post I made before.

This is exactly like a detective working in the burglary unit, trying to solve crimes elsewhere, but yet and still, he can't find out who keeps breaking in his own home.

It's an inside job to pass off the sensitive information on those computers. It's gotta be that. The FBI?.... losing computers? Shhooooott, they can keep track of you and I for years, but can't keep track of computers for just a few months or less, amongst their own kind? Yeah right!

They must be selling information. No surprise.

Thanks for the info.

[Added Info]
I'm going to share with you all something that will shock alot of you, and especially those of you that use gMail. I hope you know that Google has been collecting all the gMail account information, and a former CIA agent said that Google is working undercover for the Government..... including the CIA.

This is tied into the missing computers. I'll post the info. And if you are using gMail, I'd suggest you stop using it. They are using those computers to transport the information they're collecting on people, and then they're most likely passing it off to Google.

I'll post it for you all, and then you decide.

Edited by Walkman, 14 February 2007 - 12:29 AM.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

There is something I would have to tell you... If the FBI we're selling the computers to sell information... Why the heck would they tell the hole country... They can hide things up pretty well and I think they would do it alot better then that, even for the government.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

If I were a betting man, I'd say about half or more of those "stolen or missing" laptops were due to disgruntle employees.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:22 PM

Laptop + Windows = Blue Screen Of Death

Laptop + BSOD + Armed Federal Agent = Dead Laptop

Posted Image

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

Something better get done is all I can say.

Like a roll call for all laptops each day or that employee wont go home but to jail.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 14 February 2007 - 09:44 PM.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

But they make it so easy... I know that alot of places all you have to do is report it but there isn't any consequences.

They should investigate the cases and figure out where they are... The government has money, why don't they put tracking devices in the laptop, especially those with sensitive information.

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

To Klinkaroo,

Now that could make me think like that too, because it makes sense as to "why they wouldn't do it". Now, think about this very possible scenario :

You get the computers.. (laptops, I must add), and then you get the data off of it, whether by removing the drive, and (or) transferring the data to another location. It's very easy and fast to do... and then you simply trash/dispose/crush/ of the laptops. There's no need for them now, since all the data is gone.

It would make you wonder why would it make news anyway, when they simply must know who each and every-single drop of a computer(laptop, I must add) that was given to who. Now, let's not get that forgetful... computers?... laptops?... if I, myself will know who every-single person is that gets a computer(laptop, I must add) from me. There is no question that someone(s) knows who each and every laptop went to.

In other words..... 160 people have some explaining to do just about his/her laptop. Each and every 160 of those people better have different stories. and what will be the odds of that happening? Oh.... there's a way to find out who did what...... That's why I actually posted in the beginning... and that's because they could have kept that out of the news.

Why don't they say how many they've lost in total? There is no way we should believe that they are that smart, but yet so dumb.

FBI computers have very important data on those drives, and it's just not registering in my mind how they can let that many laptops go missing, during all that time, within the same entity, and report it to the public, but yet, can't/don't know who actually had a laptop? Bogus... bogus, bogus.

Data is worth millions and billions of dollars, but hardware is worth nothing, when you compare the two. It's very easy to ditch the laptops after taking care of your business.

You mean to talk about technology, all of the tracking and monitoring being pushed on everyone else, and you mean to tell me that they can't track those computers?.... not one of them?..... all of them untrackable?.... again,, bogus, bogus, bogus.....

I'd bet you right now if you were to get your hands on any one of those laptops, and go online or such, chances are within minutes you'll have plenty of people coming at you. And even if you think everyone won't go online, some will.... and if none don't, then it's again,... an inside job. Those laptops are trackable, and I'm sure many people would agree. The FBI?... those computers can be tracked.

If no one takes the fall for these missing laptops, it's an inside job. And that would mean that they would have to admit that they have no one overseeing the distributions of the laptops. Those laptops just sit in a room, and then whenever someone wants a laptop, just go to the room and get you one... Is it like that?.. they don't inventory the computers nor have an overseer?.....

And each of you computer users, geeks, guru's, whatever you want to call your self....... you and I both know we're not going to have many of our own laptops go missing like that.... The only way you would get me is if you simply never bought the computer back, and (or) you never came back either. I'd know then... but if you came back, I,,, and you would surely ask where is your laptop... that would be the first thing coming out of my mouth, and you would too.

Is this proving that there is no reason for them to be trying to track and monitor other people, and yet, can't monitor their own equipment/supplies. And tracking?..... I simply mean making whoever gets a computer, signs for a computer, then instantly that info is in the database, in real time. So now.... I'm tacking you, because I know you have signed and received one. That's all. That simple. As a matter of fact, it doesn't get any simpler, besides, no one ever gets a laptop. You go back to desktop... let me see you steal that one, which will be locked down...

I just can't fathom that.. it just doesn't add up right. Not even the public statement.. That was the give-a-way in my opinion.

Not even 24 hours after their public statement (which they should have never done anyway) they should have known down to the name, who had what laptop......

Then again, they could always change their story and just say that there was never any important data on the laptops... and they were to be issued out later on......... but even under those conditions, I'd have each and every-one questioned since no one knows where they went to.

If you let an outside legitimate investigation take place, the culprit(s) would be caught in no time flat.

[Added Info]
When you are done reading this, make sure you include the weapons too. This post is meant for laptops and weapons............. Separately!

Edited by Walkman, 14 February 2007 - 11:33 PM.

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

But they make it so easy... I know that alot of places all you have to do is report it but there isn't any consequences.

They should investigate the cases and figure out where they are... The government has money, why don't they put tracking devices in the laptop, especially those with sensitive information.

It really doesnt matter if they steal the actual laptop (well figure they probly spent $3000 US for a stripped Dell) they all probly have WIFI or Bluetooth cards in them and 1/2 of the guys using them have no idea how to protect the data or lock the connection to the computer. As my moms neighbors dont know how to do this and I had to lock it out of her computer so she'd quit printing stuff to their printer and accessing their files (it was funny)

Posted Image

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

That just pisses me off. I tell you what, if you work for me, and you lose my equipment, just assume that you are no longer employed. Period. If you can't be trusted with a piece of sensitive equipment, then you can't be trusted to do anything that I want you to do. I don't recall any news stories about 320 people being fired for losing government property (guns and computers combined).

The fine men and women in our military are tasked with protecting our constitution and way of life, yet they are afforded none of the protection of the constitution. Someone please explain to me how the mission of the FBI is any different than that of our military. Ok, so they are investigators, and the military are the enforcers. They are both working to the same ends. You can bet your life that the military isn't losing equipment, because those people would face jail time. There is no excuse for losing equipment; there is no excuse for not knowing the contents.

:thumbsup:

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:11 PM

I was in a state of disbelief when I heard that.Are they stolen,lost or sold to someone for profit.This is a scary situation,and can only hope this problem is fixed quickly.Goodness knows what hands this information could get into.Security here doesn't seem to be a big priority either.One Army soldier Stole enough Guns and missile and grenade launchers to fill 2x40 ft shipping containers.Fortunately,he was caught selling some of this stuff,and all but 8 launchers have been recovered by undercover Detectives.Makes one wonder how safe we really are. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 15 February 2007 - 10:12 PM.

#12 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

That just pisses me off. I tell you what, if you work for me, and you lose my equipment, just assume that you are no longer employed. Period. If you can't be trusted with a piece of sensitive equipment, then you can't be trusted to do anything that I want you to do. I don't recall any news stories about 320 people being fired for losing government property (guns and computers combined).

The fine men and women in our military are tasked with protecting our constitution and way of life, yet they are afforded none of the protection of the constitution. Someone please explain to me how the mission of the FBI is any different than that of our military. Ok, so they are investigators, and the military are the enforcers. They are both working to the same ends. You can bet your life that the military isn't losing equipment, because those people would face jail time. There is no excuse for losing equipment; there is no excuse for not knowing the contents.

To groovicus,

By reading your post, you made me feel just like I was in your brain and (or) you were in mine.... but basically, we're both thinking the same thing.

I know, and I'm sure you know that someone or someones(s) do in fact, know what was on those computers and who had which computer. You can allow me to distribute over 50,000 computers, and I promise you right now, down to the names, addresses, departments and whatever else, who had gotten a computer. And I never touched on the subject of weapons either.

I've served my country by enlisting in the military. All I can say is that it was rewarding for my life. Although I wasn't in charge of inventory and stock, I was an inventory inspector that oversaw the equipment and who had what. And in only close to 8 years, only 3 items came up missing during my watch.

The military protects their inventory, because they know that they may need them one day, and they want them there so they can be used if needed. Alos, in the military, if you are ever caught stealing sensitive information, weapons, or otherwise, you are considered a TRAITOR OF YOUR COUNTRY.

My uncle is a retired US ARMY General. He has taught me alot about things that are not of the normal conversational piece. That's another reason why I know those computers and weapons that are missing from the FBI are an inside job. No doubt about it either. If the right people handle this crap they've done, alot of people WILL be branded as a TRAITOR OF THIS COUNTRY.

Also, another reason why I know it's an inside job is that the FBI is:

a. A group of attorneys
b. A group of attorneys that are licensed to carry a gun.

The FBI knows laws, because of point a above. They can manipulate the truth, like they aways do. They won't tell the truth, as they always should. If the FBI gets to you, they can scrounge up all kinds of legal defenses against you, and make you believe they're right. And the only thing that will make them right is that there are the other corporate liars that will back them up.

And lastly, the FBI secretly works for higher-uppers that are unknown to the public.

I'm sure the missing computers and weapons were done this by cohersion and (or) other ways......... money or threats.

#13 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:20 PM

You can bet your life that the military isn't losing equipment, .

Sorry to be a party pooper there Groovicus, but I recently read that since the end of WWII there have been eleven (11) nuclear or atomic weapons gone missing from America's arsenal.

Many $millions of other types of weapons and equipment also disappear each year from the U.S. armed forces. Check it out for yourself.

Edited by Constantine, 19 February 2007 - 04:22 PM.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#14 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

When I get a moment I will find links to the above
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users