Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Signal 54-36-1-54-2 Mbps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

I have a linksys wireless g router. I just freshly installed the current intel software and driver, and updated the linksys wireless router's firmware. The fact that I'm writing to this forum means I have internet access, but I'm looking at the green radio signal icon on my taskbar and it's reading 1.0 Mbps. Any experience with members on what to look for and how to get a more consistent signal, i.e., 48-54 Mbps?

Also, when I click Advanced, Adapter Settings, what are the optimum settings for the intel proset/wireless network adapter? e.g. data rate, preamble mode, etc.? Thanks.
drymobius

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

I have a linksys wireless g router. I just freshly installed the current intel software and driver, and updated the linksys wireless router's firmware. The fact that I'm writing to this forum means I have internet access, but I'm looking at the green radio signal icon on my taskbar and it's reading 1.0 Mbps. Any experience with members on what to look for and how to get a more consistent signal, i.e., 48-54 Mbps?

Also, when I click Advanced, Adapter Settings, what are the optimum settings for the intel proset/wireless network adapter? e.g. data rate, preamble mode, etc.? Thanks.

I was reading on another forum some time back about an issue like thias, and the solution that was suggested and that worked for that user was a simple one too... make sure that the router and the modem are atleast 2-3 feet apart, it was said that due to interference the signal strength keeps on changing...
Try this and see if it helps and let us know if this is an actual remedy for low bandwitdth issues....

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

CANNED FIX>>>

Signal strength: Measured in decibels compared to one milliwatt (or dBm), the signal strength is sometimes referred to as signal level. The higher this number is, the better chance you have for a full-speed connection between your access point and your PC.
Noise level: Ideally, you want the noise level (also measured in dBm) to be as low as possible. Cordless phones and microwaves are common culprits for increasing the noise level.
Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR): This is the most telling of the numbers because it compares the strength of the signal with the noise that is interfering. SNR is measured in decibels (dB), and a higher number is good news.
Placing your access point
The location of your access point (AP) is key. With a little planning, you can avoid potential interference and save yourself time, money, and frustration.

Here are some pointers:
Pick a place near the center of your home.
Avoid mounting your AP on the wall. The best place is six or more inches from the wall.
Keep the AP out of the line of sight of microwaves, cordless phones, refrigerators, and other appliances that contain metal.
Your computer can cause interference, so try keeping the AP separate.
Avoid putting the AP low to the ground. Instead, keep it on a table or a shelf.
If your house is large, you may need two access points.
Troubleshooting tips
If your wireless network is all set up and you're experiencing interference, here are some ideas for improving the signal:
Move the access point. See the above section for pointers, and if all else fails, walk around with the AP while someone else monitors your signal strength.
Change channels. If you've got a neighbor with a wireless network, you may be operating on the same channel. You can change the channel in the software that came with your wireless access point.
Move the antenna. Not all antennas have the same range of coverage, so finding the best position is a matter of trial-and-error. Try moving yours around and changing the angle.
Change phones. If you have an 802.11b or g network, consider one of the newer 5GHz cordless phones. If you have an 802.11a, try a 2.4GHz phone. Better yet, an older 900MHz phone won't interfere with either type of network.
Check other network obstructions. Other network obstructions include ceramic tile, concrete, and even stacks of newspapers, as well as Bluetooth-enabled devices such as laptops and PDAs.
Consider an upgrade. If you're using 802.11b, you might have better luck with the newer 802.11g devices that have more non-overlapping channels and less interference. Plus, they're almost five times as fast!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies. No luck. I actually spent an hour with Linksys Support, and they actually caused me to lose internet connectivity altogether! So, I'm asking for your help again. Here's the status - On the taskbar lower right, the little green radio icon states: Intel PROSet/Wireless, Connected to: my SSID, Speed: 54 Mbps, Signal Quality: Excellent, IP Address: my ip address.

However, when I click on Firefox, I get the white screen stating "Server not found". Firefox can't find the server at www.yahoo.com (for example). In cmd, I cannot ping www.yahoo.com either.

This is my wireless laptop, on WinXP. However, this computer I'm using now is my desktop wired to the linksys router. Any advice so I can get my internet back on the wireless laptop - - please! Thanks.
drymobius

#5 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:04 AM

I'm back on the Internet, but still having some speed issues (describe later). Recall Linksys Tech Support very politely thanked me for choosing them, while leaving me Internet-less holding a phone. No ip address, and no pinging from this laptop.

Solution - I manually inputted a static ip address and dns server addresses AND reinstalled the IntelPRO/Wireless 2915 ABG Connection software and drivers. I was connected again.

Current issues - Signal still fluctuates (radio icon at 12 Mbps now - ranges between 2 Mbps - 54 Mbps). This laptop is 50 ft. from access point. This morning I turned it on and clicked Firefox. The welcome screen slowing crawled into visibility. It usually POPS right up. Went to this forum from a bookmark (one of only a few :thumbsup: ) and saw "waiting for www.bleepingcomputer.com" in the lower left status bar. (as I'm typing this, radio icon is at 2.0 Mbps).

What I did -
1) Unplugged a USB mouse
2) Unplugged the ac power cord from the back of the laptop
3) Walked the laptop to within 1 foot of the access point
4) Moved the mouse on the access point computer to bring it "back to live."
5) Tested going to different forums on this site

Results -
1) After doing the above, internet blazing fast
2) Brought computer back to current location (50 ft. from access point)
3) Reconnected mouse, power cord

Observations:
1) When I actively surf different sites and search within that site, seems the radio kicks back on and goes back to near full signal 48-54 Mbps.

Question: I've read about Winsock XP Fix. Since it potentially involves registry, want to get your advice prior to considering a fix for this slow internet experience I'm having. Thanks.
drymobius

#6 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

New information on my slow internet browsing experience.

What does it mean when I cannot ping to my wireless router 192.168.1.1 and get 240 ms when I ping to www.google.com?
drymobius

#7 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

I called Linksys Support again today, and issue was elevated to 2nd level technician. He helped me to reload the router's firmware (which I had done already), BUT also told me that after the update, to PRESS THE RESET BUTTON ON THE BACK OF THE ROUTER.

Internet speed improved tremendously.

Not leaving things well enough alone, I also went to www.speedguide.net to verify my download and upload speeds. While there, I used a tool called the TCP Optimizer. Glad to report that my internet is back to its once pristine state.

Thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right directions :thumbsup:
drymobius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users