Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Locate Rundll32.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 USMC 5811

USMC 5811

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

a couple of days ago my mom calls and says that her computer died. She had called Dell and they sent the restore CD's for WinXP SP2, by the time I get to the machine it's not dead, it's just not letting her log into windows.

The only thing it will do is boot up say that you have to activate windows and when you hit yes it just logs you off and says you have to activate windows. an evil loop. I found a technet article that said to just reinstall windows using the repair current installation option. That got rid of the activation loop.

Now I am stuck at this problem. "Cannot Locate RUNDLL32.exe" whenever I try to use the control panel. I have expanded the file from the WinXP SP2 CD over and over in both safe mode and normal mode and still every time I try to open a control panel item I get the error.

I have updated and run spybot and adaware, both of which removed hundreds of objects. The McAfee Security Center that she has installed is all whacked out and the manual virus scan button is missing. I did remove the hard drive and put in my old computer I'm using as a lab machine and scanned her drive with Symantec Antivirus and found nothing.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,699 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

Greetings USMC 5811 :thumbsup:

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81378/not-sure-if-im-infected/

It is always wise after posting an HJT log, that you DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this confuses things and will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 USMC 5811

USMC 5811
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

i am trying to be patient it's just hard. I posted a HJT log on another help forum back on Sunday and I still haven't received a reply from them either. I'm willing to make a donation to those that help me but I'd rather not wait a week. I'm stuck in the snow in Ohio :thumbsup: and it's hard to be stuck indoors and not try to fix the computer.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Edited by USMC 5811, 14 February 2007 - 07:21 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

If you don't wait for the HJT log to be processed (and start changing things) - the malware can "morph" and hide itself so that it can't be removed. "Patience is a virtue"

BTW - I spent a couple of years with the 8th Marines as a Hospital Corpsman.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 USMC 5811

USMC 5811
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

BTW - I spent a couple of years with the 8th Marines as a Hospital Corpsman.

Every Marine appreciates having a good corpsman to count on; Thank you for your service. I spent 9 years on active duty as a military policeman.

I'll just wait for the HJT experts. Short of formatting the hard drive, I don't think I can get rid of whatever is plaguing this machine by myself.

#6 USMC 5811

USMC 5811
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

Please disregard, I ended up formatting and reloading. Thanks anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users