Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hl-dt-st Dvd-rw Gca-4080n Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 newwavesoldier

newwavesoldier

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

Last week I had a looping "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" blue screen that kept me from starting Windows. I was able to use my XP Home (SP2) disc to eventually boot and fix this issue.
There's only one problem now - my DVD-RW drive is showing up as "CD Drive" when I insert any discs (blank, data, cd, DVD, old...new...various brands). The weird thing is that IsoBuster and Nero InCD both can read any discs I put into the drive. Even iTunes recognizes when I insert a blank disc, but again, under "My Computer" it shows as an empty E:/"CD Drive".

Here are my specs:

Gateway 7500
AMD 64 4000+ Notebook
HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N (driver version 5.1.2535.0)

I've read quite a few other articles. I've also changed the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service to "Automatic"...though under "Description" it still doesn't say "Started" unless I manually start it. I've uninstalled Nero, and reinstalled it. If I try to burn anything, it will burn as long as I'm burning less than 2gb on a dvd-r.

The main hassle is, while i CAN read all of my cds/dvd/dvd-r's/etc when using a 3rd party program, I can't seem to get XP to read anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

Please do the following :

MY Computer rightclick propperties hardware select the drive click delete and confirm. Reboot and via hardware add the drive again using these drivers.

#3 newwavesoldier

newwavesoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

I actually tried this once before and had to system restore because it couldn't install my drive.

I took your advice and tried it again. When XP reboots, I run the Add Hardware wizard and it says "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."
I've looked online for drivers/updates for my drive and couldn't find anything.
Also, my notebook didn't come with any discs for my drive.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

Try here or here

Edited by fozzie, 13 February 2007 - 07:12 PM.

#5 newwavesoldier

newwavesoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

I downloaded both, and I've just been in the process of trying to get them to work.

As they ARE .exe files, I tried to open them individually. Both would say, "Can't find the target drive."

I tried to have the Add New Hardware wizard find them during the driver search, but it would only scan for .inf files. I also tried to have it search the C: drive, but it only has A: listed (...and I don't have an A:/).

I did a system restore to see if, with the DVD-RW reinstalled, it wouldn't show up as "Can't find the target drive."

Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same error.

#6 newwavesoldier

newwavesoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

If anyone could help...I would REALLY appreciate it.
I made a video about a week ago, to give to my girlfriend on Valentine's Day. Well...that's tomorrow, and I can't get the damn thing to burn because of this problem.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

Take alook at the firmware here

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#GSA4080N

hoping this makes a Happy Vals Day for ya
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

I'd suggest trying the updates that are available for your system at the Gateway website. Once into the Support site, you just enter your serial number and it'll pop up with all the downloads that are available.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 newwavesoldier

newwavesoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

thanks for the suggestions.

I downloaded the Dangerous Brothers files, and after reading the directions, I installed them.

...i'm still getting the "Found New Hardware" Wizard pop-up everytime I start Windows. It will show my drive, but I still unable to supply it with any driver location, driver, etc.

In My Computer, my drive is now permanently showing up as "CD Drive", and now I can't get any discs to read whatsoever.

usasma - I previously tried that. The only problem is that there were no updates for my drive. Only for Sound, Video, Net, etc.

I'm still hoping that there's someone out there willing to help me with this. As for the help so far - thank you again.

#10 newwavesoldier

newwavesoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:56 AM

I might also add that when booting up as of last night, it goes through this sequence:

Splash screen (Gateway)
press F11 to restore screen
...2 minutes or so of black screen...
a process bar loading at the bottom
back to black
after putting in my password, it hangs for a bit (still showing my password)
immediately into windows pops the "Add New Hardware Wizard"

:/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users