Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Play Youtube, Etc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

When someone sends me a YouTube or other video, it won't play except a little at a time, jerky, stops & starts, sometimes won't go at all. I have RealOnePlayer (1-6) & QuickTime Player on my computer but don't know how to use them. Is there something I need to activate?

Thanks,
Karen

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 February 2007 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:38 PM

What kind of files are that? Rightclick Propperties?

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

Well most YouTube videos ECT are streaming videos. If you have a slow internet connection they are going to be jumpy until they fully stream....what kind of connection are you running? Dial-up? Crappy DSL? or Cable?

Gavin Seabrook

#4 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

Sorry to be slow getting back to this - I did not get a notification that an answer was posted.

This particular video was just a link sent to me by a friend for youtube.com, but have trouble with any of them. It starts & stops, starts again. I just have dial-up, have used Firefox as well as IE7, same result.

Thanks,
Karen

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

Right. The problems you describe are caused by the fact that dial-up is a slow internet connection. There isn't enough bandwidth available to play live-stream smoothly, and it doesn't matter where the live-stream is coming from. The only way you can play videos smoothly is to download the entire video, save the file, and then play it from the file. However, many live-stream videos prevent saving the file, which is extremely frustrating when listening to, for example, school board candidate debates.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 xybjj

xybjj

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

try speedbit's youtube video accelerator =)

#7 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:32 AM

Let the video buff up to about 75-80 % and you should be good to go.

#8 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

I tried downloading thespeedbit accelerator as suggested - when I try to run I get error message "not a valid Win32 application.

Exactly what do you mean by "buff up" to 80%? Let it be on for a long time before I try to play it?

Thanks,
Karen

#9 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

Replying to my own question....have not had any answers to my last two questions. Has the thread been moved or something?

Thanks
Karen

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:25 PM

"buff up" means to let it buffer (load up) some, before trying to play it.
When the video starts, click on the Pause button.
Wait for the Progress Bar to progress (load up) to about 80% of it's travel, then click the Play button.
That way you can watch the part of the video that's already loaded into the buffer, while the rest is still loading.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users