Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates Xp Pro Sp2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ~at a loss~

~at a loss~

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

Hello

I can get the downloads with no trouble by manually going to the site and installing them, but I was wondering if anyone could clue me in as to why automatic updates might not be ......well, automatic.

I had it set to automatic and when that didn't work, I set it to download and notify me, but don't install till I say, and it wouldn't work with that setting either.

Is is my security settings? I have them set pretty stringently as per the advice of a nice fellow who was helping me clean my computer in the HJT forum.

Any ideas?
thanks

Shamrockgirl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

Here's what I'm thinking....

You have it set on Automatic updates, but there are no updates to download/install, so therefor it wouldn't do anything. The Automatic Updates are mainly files that are considered high priority for your system, which always get downloaded/installed if set to do so.

On the other hand, you can go to the web site and get downloads from there, but those aren't the critical files you need, just files/programs that you can use.

But, if you should go to MS web site and let it check your computer, it will list all of the files you need and it'll get them ready for you to download. If there are no critical files needed for your computer, then it'll say so, and at the same time, there will be nothing for your automatic updates to update.

That's my take on it. Maybe someone else can explain differently.

Also check to make sure that you don't have any firewalls or such blocking it from updating.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

Some security settings could affect this - particularly those associated with ActiveX - but then you wouldn't be able to access the Windows Update site at all.

So, I'd suspect that (as Walkman stated) that there may not be any downloads for you to get.

Another possibility is that your Windows Update dll's have become unregistered. Try this free utility to reregister them (and the Windows Installer also): http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ~at a loss~

~at a loss~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hm.

Well, no there were eight security (high priority) updates issued( I assume on Tuesday) that I downloaded yesterday manually, and I left off specifically the Windows IE.7 update because I'm not sure I want that yet.

Oh well, I will just have to do it manually until I figure out an answer.

But thank you very much for your suggestions.

Shamrockgirl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users