Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display On Screen With Vb.net

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Strahle

Hans Strahle

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:36 PM

I'm trying to write a little vb snippet that simplifies the login to my bank account. The user name and password is fixed but the security code is taken from a file and used once. What I want this snippet to do is fill in the three fields for me and send it. The function that writes the values into the fields of the bank form is what I can't solve. How can I do this in VB.NET?
United we stand, divided we fall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:39 AM

Is it really necessary to reinvent the wheel? Could you get away with using some sort of application that remembers what you filled into a form? Or are you saying that the security code changes each time?

#3 Hans Strahle

Hans Strahle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

Each code is used once and discarded. I keep the codes in a file and tick them off one by one.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

I can't really think of any good way to do it at all, with any language. I can think of two possibilities, bit I don't know that either will work. One, you can take a copy of hte login page, and make your own hacked version of it to include a script that reads the necessary values and fills in the fields for you. It probably won't work, because your bank will be issuing a unique session ID each time you connect. Or they should be. If they are not, then I would be very afraid of your banks security, since session authentication is a pretty basic security measure.

The second way would be to create a plug-in for your web browser. It would be pretty dang difficult to for IE, but could probably be done for Firefox. Basically, all your plug-in needs to do is recognize when you are on the log-in page and call a script that retrieves the necessary values for automatic insertion into your form. But again, I would wager that the log-in page has some sort of protections that would discourage this also.

Those are the only two avenues that I can think of.

#5 Hans Strahle

Hans Strahle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:25 PM

It sound complicated. I have a program, Keyboard Express, that does the same kind of thing I want to do with mine. It puts out information to the unprotected fields on the screen beginning where the SOM is. I'll try with the VB help files to see if I can find something there. Thanks anyway.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, there are a ton of programs that will automagically fill in forms for you, as long as the content doesn't change. My specialty is on providing web services and web applications, and what you want to do wouldn't be possible at all with my applications. And based on accepted security standards, it shouldn't be possible at all, however, that is not saying that a clever person couldn't do it.

I would recommend looking at the source code of the and see if there is a session variable anywhere in the source code. If there isn't, then what you want to do is actually pretty trivial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users