Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox & Ie7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

I have downloaded Firefox2 & made it my default browser. Am I supposed to turn on IE7 occasionally in order to get windows updates, etc.? How often? How long?

Thanks
Karen

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 February 2007 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

You can either run IE periodically to get Windows updates manually, provided you point the browser to the appropriate Microsoft website of course.

Or you can just make sure your automatic updates are enabled [Right click My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates tab].
Posted Image

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

You won't have to run IE at all if you use Firefox's IE Tab Extension.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

Yes I am running automatic updates - but I was under the impression that they would work only with IE - and some other things I was advised to keep IE for.

I looked at the IE extension webpage - looks like it can cause problems? I really don't want to download anything I don't HAVE to have.

Thanks,
Karen

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

You can use IEView, an extension to Firefox, to launch IE at the URL you wish; it is somewhat faster than launching IE and then copying and pasting the URL into it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

Sorry, I am still not clear about getting my Windows Updates if Firefox is my default browser. ARcman said just be sure automatic updates is on. Yes, it is. But I don't think anybody answered my question about will they automatically download thru Firefox? Is it not true what I have read about them not working properly with Firefox?
Or do I need to go to Windows Updates website manually maybe once a week? How can I know if I am getting them automatically? I checked Windows Updates microsoft site today & it showed about a dozen that supposedly should be downloaded.

Thanks for your help.

Karen

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

Microsoft releases updates approx. every 3 months.
To avoid any potential problems, once a month, use Internet Explorer to go to Microsoft, and download all Critical Updates, and any other's you think, you may need.
Do not download any driver updates, from Microsoft.
Always go to the hardware manufacturers website, and update the drivers from there.

But I don't think anybody answered my question about will they automatically download thru Firefox?

Automatic Updates will download through Internet Explorer.

Edited by tg1911, 18 February 2007 - 10:08 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users