Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

I like to write on the PC, but I don't want to risk a hacker stealing one of my stories, so I keep them on a external hard drive. If I disable my internet, turn on the hard drive to do whutever, turn off the hard drive, then re-enable my internet, would that make it impossible for a hacker to access my external hard drive contents?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 February 2007 - 03:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

Simply turning the drive off and on will keep others out of your hard drive. No need to disconnect from the internet. If the drive is off, it might as well be non existant, even to your own computer! :huh:

You could also look into a firewall and other safety measures to help secure your computer....check HERE for tons of great (and free!) programs to help you protect and keep your computer safe (and clean too!) :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

So, a hacker could not leave a program on my PC (without my knowledge) that would record what I do offline? :thumbsup:

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:01 PM

If your safety meassures such as firewall antivirus and anti spyware are upto date and constantly running. No.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

A hacker can't even see that you have an external hard drive if it's unplugged. :thumbsup:

Having a firewall and antivirus along with good malware prevention/removal programs is always good practice too!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

Really, people overestimate hackers. Most "hackers" these days are script kiddies (aka "WOAH I FOND DIS AWEZOM PROG ON TEH INTERWEB AND I LIKE H4CK P3OPLE AND STUFF!"), and they wont do any harm if you have a working firewall really. A real hacker could pose some danger, but unless you made some VERY powerful people (like the CEO of symantec or something) angry, that's not going to happen.

More dangerous is malware and viruses. The threat from those are very real.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users