Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using A Multimeter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mac701

Mac701

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

Just attempted my first "build" and cant get it going. Its an old case (make unknown) but fitted an Elitegroup 755-A2 mobo, Casecom 300w PSU, 512mb, Sempron 2800 CPU and an ATI 9250. I know for certain the PSU works as I tested it in another PC but I dont know if Ive fried the mobo during fitting or the cases Power button isnt working.
I bought a multimeter but cant find a decent tutorial on using it and the A+ Study Guide isnt exactly descriptive. I would like to know if its the case or the mobo I have to replace though.
You can probably tell by the cheap components that Im unemployed so money has to be spent wisely. Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

I hope its digital as they are alot eaiser to read and has auto ranging(this makes it easier to comprehend. but any way heres a link to a bunch of Fluke demos http://us.fluke.com/usen/support/demos/default.htm

Edited by BlackSpyder, 13 February 2007 - 05:52 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Mac701

Mac701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:36 AM

Unfortunately, what I bought was only a test probe with a few lights. This is it here.
I have a question. If the PSU is plugged in and switched on is it pushing out power or does the computer need to be on? (By that I mean, hitting the power button tells the PSU to supply power)
The reason I ask is, that while I know the PSU works I tried probing one of the molex connectors but got nothing.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Mac701

Mac701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

An update.
My partner has just confessed that she had some kind of air freshener on the case which then leaked everywhere so I think the mobo could be the problem.(I wondered why it smelled so strong).
As punishment she will be paying for both new case and mobo. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users