Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Your Mortgage Insurance Be Void?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

The full story is here, http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pag...ticleID=2544898 ...

But geesh! Imagine going off to war and being killed, only to leave your wife or family coping with being
"told by their banks or insurance companies that the mortgage insurance they've spent years paying into does not apply because their spouses died in combat".

On top of loosing their loved one, having to fight with the insurance institutions must make things truly unbearable. Just wonder how many soldiers actually know this may happen if they are killed. Huge sigh.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

Was it in the fine print that most do not read? Then you would have no control but if they just went out and changed their policy then it would be a different story.

Its sad it is. It should not matter how you die.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

This has to be the biggest act of treason I have ever seen. This is not only unpatriotic but discourages people who read the fine print from signing up for the service.

I think all insurance companies with such policy should be punished by death. (The constitution even says so...)

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:17 PM

It really is tacky, isn't it. I suspect the original clause was written in to cover circumstances where, for instance, bombs were dropped on a country and thousands killed and homes destroyed, etc.

If nothing else, knowing this exists here in Canada makes me suspect it also exists in the same 'fine print' in many Countries.

As it is right now, I suspect there are thousands upon thousands of soldiers who have no idea that upon their death their families may well be left homeless. And if they learn of it now, imagine the added stress this must add to both they and their families.

Nope, if it's not already some Government's plan to ensure this doesn't happen, it should be and soon! Good grief! Must admit if given a choice of serving my country and risking my spouse and children being left without the family home I'd been paying insurance against for years, I'd be seriously thinking of politely but firmly refusing the government's offer!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

Well here's one positive. Tho' it only mentioned Afganistan.

HALIFAX The Canadian Bankers Association says financial institutions it represents have all agreed to waive an exclusion clause that's caused mortgage problems for widows of soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:04 AM

Yes, it's a least great a start has been made but can't help but hope that all soldiers have this same protection soon. Thanks for the link, boopme!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users