Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

restore code problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 backpacker2004

backpacker2004

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:22 PM

When executing the system restore (http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/oem/Compaq/Compaq_98full.htm)
one must enter a code on the back of the tower. The code on the back of our system did not work. Are there alternate codes?

Thanks, Travis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:32 AM

Not that I know of. You should probably call Compaq about this:

HP and Compaq Support Contact Information

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:22 AM

Backpacker: Sounds like you may be having a "Compaq moment". I may be able to help. Need to get kids off to school, will try to post some info within an hour.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:42 PM

Backpacker: Perhaps the following will help you, and I'll give you some info about the "codes or keys" you asked about near the end of this post, but first some caveats:
  • What little I know about this subject was mostly gleaned from this forum and pestering the heck out of HP/Compaq. If anyone else @ BC provides different information, it's likely better than mine
  • I just finished what seems to be a successful Full System Restore on a 5 year-old Compaq Presario model 7465 using the two-disc set of Quick Restore CD's that came with my computer. If you are not doing a full restore or have a different model or are not using the QR discs, my information is likely not valid for you.
  • It took me 5 attempts to get it right. My own ineptitute accounts for part of that, but the information provided by Compaq was less than complete.
  • When you're ready to do the SR, budget lots of "quiet" time as it is a fairly long process and you have decisions/actions to take along the way. At least four hours, likely more.
  • And of course, back up all of your personal data, favorites/bookmarks, etc. before you start the SR as all will be gone when the SR completes.
Here's what I suggest you do before starting:
  • Find the two recent threads in this BC forum where I got most of my help. The first is titled: Starting in Safe Mode, the second: Compaq System Restore. (sorry I'm not good at linking, but they should be easy to find). Study both of those and you probably should print them out. Be especially attentive to the tips about what to do first after the restore (AV, firewall, Windows updates, etc.), otherwise you'll be buck-naked when you first go back on-line.
  • You then should go to the HP/Compaq site that Grinler linked and print out everything that seems appropriate.
  • I would then go here: http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/psgna/caller/chat.asp which is HP/Compaq's on-line chat center where you will be connected to a technician who will provide you with other links and actually answer any questions you may have. It was there that I learned about the keys/codes that you may need. It did not seem to matter to them that I was far out of warranty and that I bombarded them with questions. They were friendly, patient, and helpful.Unfortunately, they did not tell me about one critical step that I'll warn you about later. This is an on-line chat session so you need to stay on-line until completed, I'd budget at least an hour for this. Print out everything.
OK. (1) You've saved everything important to you (and I would recommend using Windows Explorer to "read" those saved CD's just to be certain they contain what you hope they do). (2) You've printed out everything about the subject (unless you have a second computer, you won't be on-line for help until the restore is completed). Here's some final thoughts:
  • If your intent is to do a full restore, it apparently is very important to go into BIOS (using F10 key at start) to be sure you are starting from the QR disc #1. Read about that in the other threads and ask HP/Compaq about that during your on-line chat as I do not know if that is peculiar to my particular model and it may not apply at all if you are doing something other than a full restore.
  • The one seeming critical thing that the published Compaq full restore instructions and my on-line chat technician failed to tell me was that near the end of my SR, a screen appeared that instructed me in big red letters to: POWER CYCLE YOUR COMPUTER. I did not have a clue about what that meant and with no way to ask questions, I assumed it to mean shut the system down with the power switch and then restart with the same switch. I have since learned that what that term apparently means is to kill the power (pull the plug) and leave it unpowered for perhaps several minutes before reconnecting the AC and restarting. I don't know if my failure to do that operation properly during my first several SR's caused me any problems, but that could account for them. I also can't say why Compaq fails to instruct people about that.
  • Now to your inquiry about the codes. During my on-line chat session, I was given three sets of gibberish-appearing codes and was told that one set or the other would need to be typed into a window near the end of the SR process. Don't know why 3 sets were provided, I typed in the first set and it worked. I have those codes and would be happy to provide them here, but I'm concerned they may be model-number specific and could screw someone else up. Respond back if you want them and I will post them, but I don't want to cause anyone else grief.
I wish you the best with this adventure. It was very scary for me, but after many missteps, I seem to have a "new" machine. The folks here at BC gave me most of my knowledge and all of my courage to do it. Good luck. If you have any further questions, post them here but I likely won't be able to respond until early evening California time.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:05 PM

Thank you for the patient & thorough guide summary, twinsdad. I oftened wondered about the differences between reloading windows from CD and utilizing the system restoration as required by Compaq (or others who do not give you the microsoft CD). Your work has been very helpful providing a "picture" of the procedure.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

Phawwg: I just lurk around here trying to do some "pay-back" for what you folks did for me. Thanks for your kind comment.

I am curious about the dissonance I perceive at HP/Compaq. First, the printed SR instructions that came with my QR discs and words in the printed manuals say nothing, nada, about things like going into BIOS or explain the term "Power Cycle Your Computer". So OK, those instructions are very dated and likely they've learned things since then. No problem.

But then you go to their current website(s) where they've posted 1000's of words about doing SR's and still hardly anything about BIOS and absolutely nothing about the term "power cycle". For goodness sakes, they put the screen re power cycle in their restore process, did they forget it was there? Do they think that everyone doing one of these operations is as knowledgeable as you folks are? And finally, during my long pesky on-line chat with them about the procedure (where the need for noodling around in BIOS was driven-home for the first time) they never once mentioned "power cycle" and based on the (sometimes deliberately) stupid questions I was asking they could not have missed the fact that I was a "newbie" who just might not understand that term.

I say dissonance, because on the other hand, they spent a lot of time posting their procedures and FAQ's and then extended a bunch of effort during my on-line chat, all for no charge to someone 5 years out of warranty who pretty obviously needed a SR because of all the bad "stuff" he'd done to his puter for so long. Sorry....just needed to vent. Regards, twinsdad.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:49 PM

The 2 links twinsdad refered to.

Compaq System Restore

Starting in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:45 AM

tg1911: Thanks for adding the links. I can only assume that backpacker found what he needed from grinler's post. Regards.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 11:55 AM

I think we should get twinsdad to write the tutorial on System Restore for Compaqs as he seems to have become a self taught expert.

:thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:10 PM

I'll start working on that Tutorial just as soon as I find the pony; considering all of the horse manure that was on my HD, there must have been one in there somewhere. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users