Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic Question On Html

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

these are practice codes from http://www.w3schools.com

<html>
<body>

<form>
Username:
<input type="text" name="user">
<br>
Password:
<input type="password" name="password">
</form>

so, when i simply copy and paste the codings, of course, it would appear correctly, but i don't really understand how it works. so, okay, i think i understand what is input, and type="text".
what i don't understand is the "name" part. what's the use of this tag ?

also, let's pretend that i've finished up the form, once i understood about the "name" tag, and i want to submit the information filled up at the form. how do submit the information ? to where do i submit it ? if i'm the one supposed to be collecting the information, where do i go to get the information ?

i saw this example in the site also, and still couldn't understand it... :thumbsup:

<html>
<body>

<form name="input" action="html_form_action.asp" method="get">

Type your first name:
<input type="text" name="FirstName" value="Mickey" size="20">
<br>Type your last name:
<input type="text" name="LastName" value="Mouse" size="20">
<br>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">

</form>
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

The 'name' attribute is an identifier (you can think of it as a variable). When you submit the user name and password information back to the server, something on the other end has to read those values. It is going to look for a value named name, and see what value is associated with it. It is also going to look for a value called password, and see what value is associated with that.

The action="html_form_action.asp" attribute tells where the information is supposed to go. In this case, it goes to an active server page called html_form_action.asp which is going to look for the name and password, and presumably pass it on to another program that is going to do something with the data, presumably to see if the name and password combination is valid.

When you submit a form, there needs to be some sort of script on the server to process the information. There are many different ways to do this, asp being one way, or php, or some other type of scripting language.

If I might make a suggestion, leave forms and stuff alone for a bit and maybe just try to put together a simple page that displays a couple of pictures adn some text until you sort of get the feel for things. Plenty can be done without using forms, and you are less likely to get put off due to frustration. (just my .02)

EDIT: I think I may have suggested to you before to not use anything by w3 for the time being as the format is a bit complex for beginners.

#3 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

erm... yeah, i think you did, but actually, i'm not very clear on what's w3, so i simply did a search on html, and saw that hey, this site looks cool, and decided to give it a try =)

so, i did everything in that site, and i think it's fairly easy, until i came to this... and then i got stuck... lol

anyhow, i'm learning about frontpage in my class now, so, i'm quite ahead of my class now =)

the fog about the 'name' is cleared i think, but about the form, still don't quite get it. lol

the form stuff is taught in my class, though not in html, but through frontpage. but my lecturer only explained the bit up to making the forms, only displayable, and not usable. so, here i am asking. i'm supposed to put the website into a cd, so there is no way that i could make the form usable is there ?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

i'm supposed to put the website into a cd, so there is no way that i could make the form usable is there ?

Correct. You will not be able to do anything other than display forms, or display static pages. Handling the information from the forms is a more advanced step from what you are learning in class.

#5 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

so, i think i'm just gonna leave the forms behind... :thumbsup: and move on.

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hi KIDRoach,

If you're actually wanting to figure out how to make those form things work you might try setting up a Server on your PC to practice on. That's what I'm doing.

That's my .02 worth, Good luck in your endeavor.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#7 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

sorry took so long for me to reply, went back to my hometown for Chinese New Year, it's holiday here in Asia =)

anyway, i would love to know how to, but, how do i actually set up a server on my pc ?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

Well, first you need to install server software on your computer. Check out Apache

Make sure you check all of the documentation, because your questions are likely answered there. Then when you are confused beyond belief, ask for help. Actually, it's not that bad.

#9 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

Been very busy, with tests, but will check it out soon =P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users