Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apricorn Cloning Didn't Work - Internal Hd Error!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:36 AM

I used the Apricorn ez upgrade kit last night to clone my HD(Dell 9300). I followed the instructions to the best of my abilities. It took 6 hours for the cloning program to complete(is that normal?). It did give me the "Congrats cloning was successful" message.
I physically swapped out the drives and powered up. The black screen came up and the progress bar stopped at about 90% and I got a HD error! message.
Now I'm lost......I figure it's a cloning problem, but I wouldn't have a clue how to figure out whether that's the case or if the HD is defective.
HELP!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:16 AM

You should be able to download a utility at the HDD manufacturer's website to test the drive to see if it's faulty.

The problem may be that Windows doesn't recognise the new HDD because the drivers etc are setup for the old drive. One way around this is to boot your computer from your XP CD (with the new HDD installed) and run a Repair Install.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed

This link is not the exact situation you are in but it's relevant.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

Did you try to boot into Safe Mode?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

No I didn't try a boot in safe mode. Apricorn support isn't open for another hour or so...so I'll have to wait. I'll get a hold of Seagate also. I'll have some more info later today..I'll keep you posted. Thanks

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:11 PM

Moving a hard drive (or cloning it) isn't a simple thing to do. Check out this link on moving XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

While the link doesn't describe your exact situation - you are changing hardware. So, there's some prep work that should have been done prior to this. Hopefully the Apricorn folks have some advice to remedy this - otherwise I'd opt for the repair install of XP before trying to boot again. Here's a link on that: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users