Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Customizing Notification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DHL

DHL

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:52 AM

HI

On each occasion when I start my PC, within the SYSTRAY certain items appear which I want to get rid of.
The procedure which I use to clear them is as follows:
Right click on task bar - click on properties - click on customize - the customized items appear - I select the ones which I either want to always show / always hide / always hide when inactive - click apply / OK

Upon completion only the items which I have nominated to show, appear. Fine
H/ever when I restart my PC certain items which I nominated not to be shown appear once more.

Can anyone advise me what I am doing incorrectly and why do these items nominated to always hide appear once I restart my PC.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:58 AM

Try this Nr. 30 left hand side. Attention this is a registry tweak!!!! Back up your registry PLease look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:07 AM

why do these items nominated to always hide appear once I restart my PC.

Do you mean they show up as before, or when you click the Show hidden icons arrow, they are still there?
To completely remove them from the taskbar, you have to stop the program in question, from running at startup.
This can usually be done from the programs, Options menu.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:04 AM

Some of these programs will reset themselves at boot time. Also, hiding the icons does not stop the programs from running - it just hides them from your view.

You may want to look at this free program for starting/stopping your startups at boot time: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Just be careful not to stop something your system needs. And, if stopping a bunch of them - only do a few at a time and then test the system. That way it'll be easier to find out what went wrong.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DHL

DHL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:36 AM

Hi Guys

Apologies for not getting back sooner but circumstances beyond my control prevailed.
Anyway have tried all possible suggestions but without any luck. It is not life threatening so I am going to forget about it altogether. The fact it works on and off was my concern. With my knowledge, not prepared to mess about with the registry.

Thanks

#6 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:41 AM

Have you checked to see what starts up when you turn your computer on?

To View go to Start > Run > Type msconfig > Click the startup tab

Dont uncheck it unless your sure you dont need it to start up.

#7 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:12 AM

Many users report good results withKelly's Taskbar Repair Tool: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Taskbar_Repair_T...Plus_d4307.html
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users