Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweaking Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:41 AM

Hi guys,

I happened to come across tweaks.com which generally covers all kinds of tweaks for windows xp and other operating systems. Now i observed that there are tons of tweaks. I did not however come across any topic for beginners on these tweak issues. Basically, tweaking is manipulating the registry files in windows, which happens to be the most critical system files. So, I was wondering if the more experienced folks could put up some kind of guide giving step by step process of tweaking it would be very useful to the beginners. These tweaks unfortunately do not give much scope for errors, and getting anything wrong might result in crashes or other problems. That is where the veterans could help the novice.

It would also be a good idea for people to put up what they think are "must have tweaks list" for beginners. This is my first post so i am merely suggesting an idea to make things easy for newbies, like me. :flowers:

Thanks and cheers :thumbsup:

Shawn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:44 AM

I suggest you read the Tweaking Companion. It's written at a fairly basic level and contains good information.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:25 AM

You can also check out this pinned topic:
Windows XP Tweak Guide

If you have any questions, you can always ask in the forums, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

As with all registry tweaks:
If you're not comfortable with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry

Edited by tg1911, 13 February 2007 - 06:27 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

Not only should you backup the registry - but you should also learn how to restore it in case you can't boot into Windows.

With a serious registry error you won't be able to boot into Windows - so the practice beforehand is needed. It's actually a simple process, but is very detailed so it pays to practice first. Most commonly it's either done from the Recovery Console or from a BartPE/UBCD disk.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

You could try letting more experts do it using these:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Advanced_WindowsCare_d4991.html

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users