Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Anyone Please Clarify These Questions?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:59 AM

Hi guys,

I have three questions regarding backing up data on a DVD.

1. I usually back up my data on a DVD using Nero 6. I noticed that the actual capacity of the DVD is 4.7 GB. However, when I backup my data using Nero 6, it allows only up to 4.5 GB and any data that I try to add thereafter, Nero says not enough space! I was wondering if there is a software that can burn data using the full capacity of the DVD i.e. 4.7 GB.

2. I am also looking for the best software that can burn data (be it movies, songs, programs anything) on a DVD which also compresses the data as much as possible as more data can be stored on the DVD.

3. I have heard that backing data on a DVD is not very reliable in the long run. Is this really true? I recall vaguely something about some ink on the DVD that is responsible for storing data which eventually settles down and there after the DVD wonít be read very easily, hence one has to back up backed up data over a period of time. I have all my data stored on DVDís and if I were to keep backing the ones that I already backed up over and over, I see it being a very cumbersome process. Is there an easy work-around for this? Or should I continue using DVDís for backing up my data?

I would really appreciate if someone could clarify the above queries.

Looking forward to a quick reply if possible.

Thanks to all and cheers! :thumbsup:

Shawn. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:21 AM

Hi Shawn. The two values (4.7 and 4.5) are all due to the differences in arithmetical accuracy. The disc manufacturers use the equation 1,000,000bytes = 1Mb, whereas Windows uses the technically correct equation of 1024bytes=1Mb. This means the 'true' capacity will be lower than is printed on the disc. You will never get 4.7Gb on it. One thing you could do is buy a "double-layer" dvd-burner which can burn approx 9Gb on a (more expensive) double-layer DVD. The problem though with that is if you need to read the disc on a system which doesn't have a double-layer compatible drive. No can do, as they say.

Personally, I use "roxio Easy Media Creator 9" for all my disc-writing needs.

using DVDs for data backup should not be a problem if you observe the following:
1. use only high-quality media from the top manufacturers like Sony, TDK or Philips.

2. Do not use those stick-on face labels as the adhesive on some of them could attack the disc surface as it gets warm in the drive. Use those special marker pens instead. As for using an inkjet printer directly on the disc-face, I personally would test it on non-important files first. And it also limits what brand you can buy because they have to have a plain, printer-compatible face.

3. Use only single-use media. Not DVD-RW/+RW. The re-writable type are likely to be less reliable. Write-once media is now cheap enough to be the better option.

4. Store discs (both used and unused) out of daylight and heat.

5. media is not 'everlasting'. Write date it was created on disc face. Check that it's readable before copying it every 3 or 4 years as a precaution. Although manufacturers say they will last much longer than this I believe in playing it safe.

Edited by pip22, 13 February 2007 - 03:27 AM.

#3 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the quick reply pip22, that was useful.

Will give roxio a try. However, i wanted to clarify a point. You mentioned about using an inkjet printer directly on the disc-face, i meant the storage property of the DVD itself i.e. the way information gets burnt onto a DVD. That process uses some kind of laser while the burning process goes on and a sort of ink gets implanted onto the DVD. This ink supposedly settles down over a period of time which apparently results in the DVD not being read properly. I am still not very clear about this, but as i said earlier it was a very vague recollection.

So i guess storing data on DVD's is not that bad, will remember to keep checking the old ones though.

Cheers!

Shawn

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:28 PM

To make a clarification here:

One thing you could do is buy a "double-layer" dvd-burner which can burn approx 9Gb on a (more expensive) double-layer DVD. The problem though with that is if you need to read the disc on a system which doesn't have a double-layer compatible drive. No can do, as they say.

It doesn't matter as to the capacity of the dvd you're reading. Any dvd player/burner can read a double-layer dvd. You just need a double-layer dvd burner if you want to burn on to double-layer dvd's. As a matter of fact, approximately 97%+ of all dvd movies are put on double-layer dvd's, and still any dvd player can play them, and that's because they can read them. Double-layer dvd's have the capacity of 8.5G

No#1. It's not that the equivalent is converted as to why you can't fill up the dvd's to the max, the real reason is that when you save data to any disc, computer data has to be written to the disc 1st. It puts instructions on the disc as to if it can be read by an operating system or not.

Although you don't see it, but if you use the correct softwares, you can see the actual structure of any disc, and you can see the files that are actually hidden on them, that 9 out of 10 programs will never see. And these are blank too, already with data on them.

No#2. I use CopyToDVD, DeepBurner, and a few other ones I can't think of right now. As far as a program that will compress the datsa before burning it?.... I never heard of such, and I doubt there is such a program that will do it. Your best bet is to compress it yourself, then burn it.

No#3. As far as using dvd's as data backups?.... I've never had any problems doing so, except..... whenever I would use Nero. I don't trust Nero with my data any more. Too many of my dvd's had errors on them afterwards. Although I still have those dvd's, the data is still on them, and I've gotten all of it off of all of them, but I knew Nero was the culprit because when I started using different burner programs for my data, to this day now I don't get any read errors. So... if you ever have any problems after you burn your data, the 1st suspect should be Nero. Other than that, burning data to dvd's are fine. And they last long too. Just keep them in cases or such.

Ultimately, anyones best bet is to buy large storage hard drives, and just back everything up on them. They are more reliable than dvd's, plus you can access your data much quicker too.

Edited by Walkman, 13 February 2007 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users