Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inranet web server issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ihatelions

ihatelions

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:58 PM

Hi guys. I recently took over the network administration of a small-medium sized Engineering company and am having a rather annoying issue occurring that I can't resolve. To give you a brief run down we have:
- two machines running 2000 Advanced Server (one manages ADSL Internet connection and mail daemon software and other manages everything else - database, all file storage and an Intranet website)
- about 15 pc workstations that are nearly all running XP

The IT guy before me has created an Intranet website that allows people to search for files and other useful things and it should be accessible from all pc's by typing http:/server2:81 into the web browser of any local machine. ( server2 is the name of the machine and it's listening on port 81)

Most workstations in the office instantly retrieve the intranet web page.

Some machines however simply display 'Web site found. Waiting for reply...' and then never receive the page. These machines can still access every other facet of the network. that is:
-can see all the shared resources on the main server
-can see all the workstation pc's
-have Internet and email access from the other server

I gather there is some setting I need to adjust but I've been racking my brain to figure out what it is. Have compared everything I can think of between pc's that can and can't retrieve the page but I can't see any differences.

There is even one pc in the office that can retrieve the page logged on as one user but not as another user.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've wasted soooooo much time on this :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:23 PM

Thats strange and may be a configuration issue in internet explorer. Have you tried lowering the security settings on the account that does not work to low and seeing if that works. If it does bring it back to its previous setting and add the site server2 into the intranet zone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users