Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Extended Services

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 txs281

txs281

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

Hello All,
I am not sure how this happened but I seem to be missing all extended services on my PC. If I browse to control panel > Admin Tools > Services I get and empty tab for extended services. It appears that all of the standard services are present (none started) however, & I can not start any of them... they will fail after several minutes, giving me a timeout error.
Due to the services issue I currently have no external network access on that machine and the cd/dvd drives are not accessible. I am not sure if this is a by product of a virus or the fallout of a family mistake. Any help / ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:37 AM

First try the 'System File Checker'. Start->Run. Type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes). You'll need your XP CD if Windows needs to restore any missing or corrupt system files.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try doing a 'repair' install of Windows with the XP CD. If you only have recovery disks sometimes even they have an option to do a repair install.

Just in case, back up all your own files first.
Instructions for repair with XP CD is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

#3 txs281

txs281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

pip22,
I will try running System File Checker. Unfortunately, since I am missing or unable to start services on the machine I can not access the internet or use the CD/DVD drive.

Any idea how to possibly restore the missing services with my known limitations?
Thanks!!

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

When you say "family mistake", do you mean that someone else is the administrator and you have a limited account?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 txs281

txs281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:08 PM

No, only I have admin rights. However, I do not regularly use that PC. It is more for the family (kids & wife) so I do not actively monitor what they do. I did assume since they do not have admin privileges they would not be able to alter any of the service related info. But, you never know what you don't know.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

Even with a limited account (and IE parental controls, the MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, IE SpyAd, and We-Blocker) my son still managed to get so infected that the system wasn't usable. The last count I took was almost 400 infections present on his system.

I'd say that an antivirus scan was the first order of business. You can download the free ClamWin Portable from here for use on a flash drive: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

After the cleaning it may be necessary to run SFC.EXE or to do a repair install to get the system working again. Here's a couple of links about them:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 txs281

txs281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

I was unable to get ClamWin to a thumb drive today. However, I attempted to run SFC.EXE from windows/system32 & the machine flashes briefly and then nothing. No process or applications are running in the task manager. I am starting to think this is going to be a re-install. Also, when attempting to shut the machine down it just spins at the "Saving you settings ..." window. I will try to dump ClamWin tomorrow & give it one more try. Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated!!

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

I think that the virus infestation is hiding the processes in Task Manager - so it's probably sophisticated enough to fool SFC.EXE also (although SFC.EXE doesn't give you any feedback normally).

A wipe and reinstall is certainly an option here. But that's your choice because it's your time that you'll be spending on it.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 txs281

txs281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

Well after attempting everything that was suggested (and more) I was unable to get my PC functional again. I had to do a full system restore. Although it was quite easy using the Dell built-in utility I was sick to lose a bit of data since my last backup - that was before X-Mas.

Once again thanks for the suggestions!!

Adios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users