Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Norton Anti-virus Blocking...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jos2thehua

jos2thehua

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

Over the past few days I have been experiencing a constant Norton Anti-virus blocking of the following intrusions...
  • MS ASNI Integer Overflow TCP
  • MS RPC LSASS DS Oversized Request (TCP)
I have looked these up on the google search engine and have found out that my computer needs updating. The only problem is I'm not really sure how I'm suppose to update it or where I'm suppose to find the right update for my specific PC computer. Help ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:17 PM

click on the link below while using the IE browser. Click on the "express"
button and let windows scan your computer for updates. Install all of them.
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us

I suspect you may be missing other updates for your programs. Get the Windows updates first and then post back.

Do you have SP2 installed? If not, you should read the info in the link below.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
Make sure your computer is malware free before installing SP2

Edited by buddy215, 12 February 2007 - 10:01 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jos2thehua

jos2thehua
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

These are the following updates that have been downloaded and installed into my PC...
  • Microsoft .NET Frame 1.1 Service Pack 1
  • Microsoft GDIt Detection Tool (KB873374)
  • MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978)
  • Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 Windows XP
I also was prompted to visit this link to the following website...

http://www.mircosoft.com/athome/security/u..._jpeg_tool.mspx

Is this the update I'm looking for to fix my problem? Oh and thank you for your help so far. Also, I will call it a night for now and do this tomorrow if this is the appropriate update I need to download and install.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:46 AM

These are the following updates that have been downloaded and installed into my PC...

• Microsoft .NET Frame 1.1 Service Pack 1
  • Microsoft GDIt Detection Tool (KB873374)
  • MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978)
  • Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 Windows XP
I also was prompted to visit this link to the following website...

http://www.mircosoft.com/athome/security/u..._jpeg_tool.mspx

Is this the update I'm looking for to fix my problem? Oh and thank you for your help so far. Also, I will call it a night for now and do this tomorrow if this is the appropriate update I need to download and install.

The link you provided is dead :thumbsup:

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:53 AM

Not sure of what version of Windows you have. The link you posted is not working for me, but the update mentioned is not needed in XP2. I edited my original post yesterday and you may not of seen it. Check your version of Windows and post back.

To determine which version of Microsoft Windows you are running:

On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Run.

In the Run dialog box, type: winver

Click OK.
A dialog box displays the version that you are running.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 jos2thehua

jos2thehua
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

Sorry about the broken link I posted. My version of Windows is...

Windows Version 5.1 Service Pack 2

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

Since you have Windows XP2, your computer is not vulnerable to the exploit that Norton is flagging. Are you still getting the notices from Norton after doing the updates? To play it safe, post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum by following the directions in the link below. Be sure to point to this topic for the Hijack This team to review.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#8 jos2thehua

jos2thehua
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:20 PM

It seems I haven't completely updated my Windows yet since I went back to the Windows update page and it gave me a total of 13 new updates. Hopefully one of these updates is the key to my problem.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Today is patch Tuesday for Windows. That may be what the updates are. Here is a link to an article about what is getting patched. Second Tuesday of each month is patch Tuesday.
Microsoft Patches 12 Vulnerabilities, 6 Of Them 'Critical'
http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle...cleID=197005876

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users