Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Far To Overclock A Cpu?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

How far past an intended clock speed is "safe" to overclock? Ok, so I know that overclocking isn't recommended.....but I'm doing it anyways :thumbsup: :flowers:

I've got a Celeron D 2.93ghz 533 fsb which has been overclocked to 3.12 ghz for nearly a week now with no problems at all (even while playing battlefield 2142).

Question is, how far can I overclock it before I blow it up? My mobo will support up to a P4 3.4 ghz 800 fsb cpu....so do you think I can OC this celeron to 3.4 without errors/issues/extreme meltdown resulting in catastrophic failure and ensuing fire? Also, when will I know when to much is to much (system instability etc.), like what signs to look for?

My cpu cooling fan is rated up to a P4 3.4 ghz/800 fsb cpu, and I've got 1 80mm and 1 120mm case fans (both exhaust) and a cooling fan on my gfx card and a fan on my psu, so I think I'm fine with cooling.

Plus, if I blow this up then my wife has to let me get another one.....which means that I'll step up to a P4 :trumpet:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

Well I did some reading on overclocking my processor, until I realized this certain type of Dell,like most, won't let me. What I did read is just keep doing it slowly and gradually until you do finally find a limit. That way you don't blow up your processor or anything else (even though watching it blow up might be cool as well as a good excuse to get something better :thumbsup: ). You could also use liquid nitrogen to cool it off and get it up to 5.4Ghz. lol if you haven't seen that watch it sometime, its pretty cool. Well sorry I guess this wasn't really helpful.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

You can never blow it up (well, not without my help! :thumbsup: Actually, you'll melt it. But before that it'll generally just quit working.

Heat is the enemy here - too much heat and you shorten the lifespan of the CPU significantly. The more heat, the shorter the lifespan.

CPU overclocking is an art form - there's no real recipe for doing it. You experiment until you get what you want - or you fry the CPU doing it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:09 PM

Sweeeeeet! So, what you're telling me is that I can put it to (or upwards of) 3.4 ghz and it'll either die or work fine?

Thanks for the help usasma! :thumbsup:

Well I did some reading on overclocking my processor, until I realized this certain type of Dell,like most, won't let me. What I did read is just keep doing it slowly and gradually until you do finally find a limit. That way you don't blow up your processor or anything else (even though watching it blow up might be cool as well as a good excuse to get something better thumbup2.gif ). You could also use liquid nitrogen to cool it off and get it up to 5.4Ghz. lol if you haven't seen that watch it sometime, its pretty cool. Well sorry I guess this wasn't really helpful.

Hey Sterling14, any input is good input IMHO! I just appreciate people replying! :flowers: As for the liquid nitrogen......well, that's a little out of my league! Perhaps I should try water cooling then liquid nitrogen...you know, like crawl before you walk! LOL!!!!! :cool:

BTW Sterling14, I do plan on increasing it gradually as to not ruin anything (or try not to!) :inlove: So see, that was indeed good advice! :trumpet:

Edited by stevealmighty, 12 February 2007 - 09:44 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

You can never blow it up (well, not without my help! :flowers: Actually, you'll melt it.

Actually, it will die well before reaching temperatures of that extreme. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users