Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repetitious Email

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reid63

reid63

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

my daughter sent an email that contained embedded jpg's to me from an AIM.COM account, now i receive this same email every time my email downloads. This uses 100% of my processor, and takes several minutes to download. I have not received any other email on this account since this happened, i have sent myself email from other accounts to see if they would show up, and they did not. I have another email account on MS Office Outlook, and have received email on it, does not seem to be affected. How do I stop this email? Have called Comcast, Symantec, tried to call AOL, to no use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

Hmm, strange. I would suggest that you contact your daughter and have her to remove any references to the email in question. It would also be a good idea for BOTH of you to scan for malware. Two good programs to scan with are Bit Defender online scanner and Super Antispyware. Run Super Antispyware in safe mode. Allow both programs to quarantine or remove whatever they find.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

If the two programs above find something other than cookies, I would recommend that you post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum by following the instructions in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 reid63

reid63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

just read about "looping" on the microsoft website, but i believe it is for servers, not home networks. requires modifying the ms exchange server settings. I have eliminated the message from my daughters computer, removed my wife and my emails from it, ran NAV on both, nothing found. I will run the apps you included. Thanks.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

If you google "duplicate emails" you will get a lot of responses. Like this one:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/duplicates.htm

In your next post include the email client you are using.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 reid63

reid63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:17 PM

read that article, shut down everything in Norton, and ta da, everything downloaded in 5 seconds, and is not repeating. will do another scan and call it good. Thanks for your help Buddy.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

Norton? Who woulda thunkit!! Glad you got rid of the nuisance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users